Help me identify my chicks’ breeds’

They cannot have an Ameraucana as there is no Ameraucana rooster listed and given the misspelling of the breed on the hen it casts even more doubt. Since true Ameraucana are sold by color and at high cost I highly doubt it. Also both first birds have green legs so my guess would be Easter egger and olive egger for those two.
Again with crested cream legbar there is no roo so that can't be either.
I bought the eggs on eBay and copied and pasted all the breeds the lady said they were. The black ones have normal legs... no feathers. I’m fairly new to keeping chickens. Can you see the gender of any of the chicks? I feather sexed all of them and it looked like 5 hens and 1 roo. Feather sexing should work if they aren’t pure bred chickens, correct? I heard that from someone.

I bought the eggs on eBay and copied and pasted all the breeds the lady said they were. The black ones have normal legs... no feathers. I’m fairly new to keeping chickens. Can you see the gender of any of the chicks? I feather sexed all of them and it looked like 5 hens and 1 roo. Feather sexing should work if they aren’t pure bred chickens, correct? I heard that from someone.
Couple things here.
1. Feather sexing is based on the feather rates of the parents and may or may not be possible. Given that you have barnyard mix hatching eggs I would completely discount it as it's 50/50 shot here at best.
2. Sexing at or near hatch is generally only possible in one of two ways. If the breed in question is hatch sexable by down color/pattern, or if you're a trained vent sexer. Again because these are barnyard mix there's no guarantee on the color sexing as you can't be sure what you actually have so this probably isn't possible strictly speaking.

In general you're now in the fun part of chicken rearing where you stare at your chicks for hours on end for several weeks going back and forth on whether you have a Steve or a Stephanie.

Keep an eye on them, keep us updated and as they mature post pics of them and we'll start to show you how to figure out what sex they are as well as maybe get some clues as to what crosses they are (some of which are already visible). The more they feather and grow the more we'll be able to tell and coach you on what to look for.

Welcome to the fun part!

Couple things here.
1. Feather sexing is based on the feather rates of the parents and may or may not be possible. Given that you have barnyard mix hatching eggs I would completely discount it as it's 50/50 shot here at best.
2. Sexing at or near hatch is generally only possible in one of two ways. If the breed in question is hatch sexable by down color/pattern, or if you're a trained vent sexer. Again because these are barnyard mix there's no guarantee on the color sexing as you can't be sure what you actually have so this probably isn't possible strictly speaking.

In general you're now in the fun part of chicken rearing where you stare at your chicks for hours on end for several weeks going back and forth on whether you have a Steve or a Stephanie.

Keep an eye on them, keep us updated and as they mature post pics of them and we'll start to show you how to figure out what sex they are as well as maybe get some clues as to what crosses they are (some of which are already visible). The more they feather and grow the more we'll be able to tell and coach you on what to look for.

Welcome to the fun part!
Lol. Thank you. I’m hoping for mostly hens. I’ll keep you updated.

I have 6 chickens and I only want one rooster. I live in a neighborhood that is supposed to be no poultry; however, I’m on 5 acres and have the biggest lot in the neighborhood. I’ve hidden my ducks and turkeys well so far and no one has heard them. The HOA is pretty lenient anyway. If I keep a rooster I will get a collar for its crowing. If I get to many roosters, I will probably end up selling all but one and buy some more laying hens. I might make a trade to the local feed store like a rooster for a hen. I’ll probably end up with a flock of 8 or 9 chickens. I have a couple backup eggs in incubating for hens. Again, I’ll sell all roosters I get but one. I’m building their coop now. It’s an addiction. I didn’t think I’d have this much fun raising birds. I have turkeys, ducks, and chickens.

I have 6 chickens and I only want one rooster. I live in a neighborhood that is supposed to be no poultry; however, I’m on 5 acres and have the biggest lot in the neighborhood. I’ve hidden my ducks and turkeys well so far and no one has heard them. The HOA is pretty lenient anyway. If I keep a rooster I will get a collar for its crowing. If I get to many roosters, I will probably end up selling all but one and buy some more laying hens. I might make a trade to the local feed store like a rooster for a hen. I’ll probably end up with a flock of 8 or 9 chickens. I have a couple backup eggs in incubating for hens. Again, I’ll sell all roosters I get but one. I’m building their coop now. It’s an addiction. I didn’t think I’d have this much fun raising birds. I have turkeys, ducks, and chickens.
Yeah Poultry is fun isn't it? 8-9 chickens with a single roo sounds like a good plan. My ratio is a bit light right now (only 4-5 girls per boy) but I may make some chicken enchiladas at some point if I start seeing them oversexed.

Yeah Poultry is fun isn't it? 8-9 chickens with a single roo sounds like a good plan. My ratio is a bit light right now (only 4-5 girls per boy) but I may make some chicken enchiladas at some point if I start seeing them oversexed.
Lol. I have definitely considered some chicken enchiladas. If I get enough roosters I will definitely try one for dinner and sell the rest.

Back
Top Bottom