Help me modify my coop for cold weather...

Thanks, everyone! What about the full height hardware cloth shown on "wall C" in the sketch and the top photo? Should I go ahead and cover that completely? We ran out of plywood at the time and threw up the hardware cloth at the time so we could move the chickens into the coop. Also, I'm assuming if I add a temp gauge inside the coop it should be at roost height, right?

Thanks, everyone! What about the full height hardware cloth shown on "wall C" in the sketch and the top photo? Should I go ahead and cover that completely? We ran out of plywood at the time and threw up the hardware cloth at the time so we could move the chickens into the coop. Also, I'm assuming if I add a temp gauge inside the coop it should be at roost height, right?
Yup

Also, I'm assuming if I add a temp gauge inside the coop it should be at roost height, right?
Doesn't really matter. Temp is not going to vary much from the floor to roof(~8' high).

What about the full height hardware cloth shown on "wall C" in the sketch and the top photo?
I'd leave it as is, especially if you are going to put some plastic up on run walls to block wind. really depends on the the sir flows thru, as long as it's not ruffling feather (literally) it'll be good.

Doesn't really matter. Temp is not going to vary much from the floor to roof(~8' high).

I'd leave it as is, especially if you are going to put some plastic up on run walls to block wind. really depends on the the sir flows thru, as long as it's not ruffling feather (literally) it'll be good.
X2.

It doesn't look like that strip of full height hardware cloth will blow on the perches.

However, you can store a bit of scrap for emergency cover if needed come mid winter

A block on one or two run walls would be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom