Help Me! My Chickens Are Loosing There Feathers!?

Quote:
That's for coturnix, these are bobwhites... There should be one roo for every 2-3 hens. I tried to house them in a colony, but I had to go to pairs...

Whoops! Sorry wasnt paying attention.

theyre just.... so mean. lol i had one last winter with both eyes swollen totally shut, bloody, featherless head, featherless backside, and wheezing kicked out of the heat box. poor guy was all alone out in the 10* idaho night. windy as heck, too. he almost died. it took a bit of work to get him back to normal. theyre brutal. give em fresh cut grass clippings and/or lettuce to distract them, dont keep a bright light on them at night (red bulb helped for me), and of course give them space and hiding spots so they can get away from eachother if theyre being attacked. it worked pretty well for me when i had to reintroduce the beat-up boy back with his cagemates. of course, they will still mess up eachothers feathers at breeding time. thats just what they do
wink.png

ya they are out side now and there cage has fresh grass, but they seem like they dont eat any of it. I have only a little bit of "starter" food left so they will be moving to game bird food soon any way. I was also wondering about when they start to lay?... do they lay continuously, or just for a season?( i have read things that say both)

Back
Top Bottom