Help Me! My duck eats her eggs!!!

@Patrick Gaddy are you having trouble understanding the point oldhen and Miss Lydia are trying the make? They are trying to explain that you need to address the causes behind the egg eating and not so much the behavior itself. This is a health issue more than a behavior issue. You need to look at the food you are giving your duck to make sure she is getting enough protein and calcium. A laying duck needs about 16% protein. I also agree that you need to put out some oyster shell free choice. There are other options if you can't get oyster shell.

If you don't address her nutritional needs ASAP the egg eating could become habit and no amount of good nutrition will break her of the habit. She'll become an egg eater and could teach the bad habit to other birds. And she won't just stick to eating her own eggs. If she is alone, I agree getting her a friend will help her live a happier life.

Just to clarify, an egg must be fertilized and incubated before it develops into a duckling.

@Patrick Gaddy We'd love to help you, can you please provide some information about what your duck normally eats (other than her eggs?) Can you tell us about where she lives? If she lives with other birds or ducks?

So far we've covered hot sauce / mustard as a false filling as well as fake eggs as a behavioral deterrent, but I agree with the other posters concern that this may be a nutritional issue. More information is needed.

@Patrick Gaddy did you try any false eggs? Is this the first time this has happened since your original post?

I don't see that you've answered any of the questions anyone trying to help you has asked. Hopefully you can get this solved soon, though we can't help without more information.

Hello? I have heard about a man that bought some store bought eggs (that we eat) and then he warms the egg up and then it hatches! So is the eggs that we eat fertilized?

Hello? I have heard about a man that bought some store bought eggs (that we eat) and then he warms the egg up and then it hatches! So is the eggs that we eat fertilized?
Some say yes, but usually store eggs are produced by hens without any roosters around, as there's no need for them.

Back
Top Bottom