Help me out!! Quail egg zipping but I think the beak is stuck!!!

The hatch rate was absolutely horrendous, I incubated 6 and only 1 is still alive, 4 died in the process and one more still incubating (did a water candle test, it was still alive). Mostly since I kind of messed up my incubator after the first day...

Oh. That is still so cool you were able to make an incubator! I would not recommend the water candle test. It temporarily suffocates the chick. Even though the internet says it's ok, it really isn't! I would make a safety hole over the air cell of the remaining egg, it probably is mal-positioned bc it has been in there so long.

I would just do a safety hole so when it's ready to hatch it won't suffocate. Was it developing at a different rate than the others?

I may have practically half zipped for it since when I cracked it there was a really white coating stuck on it. It was breathing. I did accidentally poke some veins which bled a bit so I was not sure if it was ready. I used a small paint brush and dampened the white layer and put it back into the incubator. It was in the incubator along with the others

Is this the first egg you helped or the one who still hasn't pipped yet? There is always going to be a tiny bit of blood, veins don't completely empty, but if it was fresh flowing blood he probably wasn't ready and you can put cornstarch on the bleeding areas.

The chick is breathing but the membrane is not even connected to the egg, I have a weird feeling it may be upside down and I’m looking at its butt. What does an upside down quail look like?

Attachments

• 5EBA23DF-45E3-4BFC-AA0D-47CA706DD40A.jpeg
    5EBA23DF-45E3-4BFC-AA0D-47CA706DD40A.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom