Help me pick a duck

mogrl840

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Yuma AZ
Ok so im now looking for a new friend for my duck since his friend has past away. I went to the feed store where I got the first two and they were out. They said they would get some in this week sometime but they never know what they are or what they will be getting. The last ones I saw were just yellow/white runners. The one I have now I believe is a blue crested swedish. Should I just get another one from the feed store or is there a place I can order a few from and if so what store/site is good? Also what type of duck would be good for me? I live in a 4 bedroom house with a pretty good size yard. The ducks will live inside and out and I also have a big chicken coop that they can stay in when im not home but staying in the house is not a problem with me either. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Most hatcheries you have a minimum of 10-15. Efowl has as few as 2, but you pay as much for 2 as 10 often, because they charge alot of markup and special shipping, otherwise you may be able to buy locally thru craigslist and farm magazines...but helath may be quesitonable....

yea i saw efowl has as little has two but has anyone on here ordered live ducks from an online site? I am just wondering about health and then them being shipped

There are probably more places in your area with ducks right now. I know here it's duck and chick days at the feed store, this one pet shop, the tsc, and a few other places in neighboring towns and counties, depending where you are that is.

I am in a pretty small town and we only have one feed store and no TSC at all near by. Its pretty much wait for this one place or order off line.

Just thought something else too, if you have a small stuffed animal or a mirror that it couldn't hurt itself with you can put it in with your duckling until you get it a friend. It may help. A new feather duster (one that hasn't been used) is nice too.

Quote:
I ordered my ducklings from www.metzerfarms.com and they came in fine. I ordered 2, and they provided a heat pack, and everything. They came in healthy as can be, and they are growing up to be beautiful ducklings. I highly recommend Metzer Farms. (P.S. They will be expensive, but I didn't mind, since they are SO worth it!)
Here's some pics of them when they first arrived:
ducklings1.jpg

They are 2 Pekin ducklings.
ducklings2.jpg

Those are adorable ducks. I called Meyers the other day to order 6 ducks to join the 4 mallards I picked up at our TSC. The lady told me it would be $40 for shipping but if I ordered 10 the shipping was only $16....so I figured why pay for shipping when I can get more ducks instead! I think it was a ploy....lol. It will be expensive to order 2, but if that's all you have room for, go for it. Your little baby will be better with playmates.

Back
Top Bottom