Help me pick which hens should go in the new breeding pen! silkies/frizzles pen. Color experts please help!

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
I am about to start a new breeding pen and I need help picking which girls should go with my 2 boys.

New breeding pen~

Roos~ Silkies
×1~Chocolate
×1~Paint
Hens~Silkies
×1~Frizzled Paint

Available Silkie Hens~
×2~Buff
×2~Black
×2~Blue
×1~Partridge

Other Available Hens~
×2~Red Frizzle cochin

I need to know which hens will work in a breeding pen with my 2 roos and make good colored chicks. I know if my frizzled paint silkie hen breeds to the chocolate roo I have a chance of chocolate paints and if she breeds to the paint boy obviously she will throw some paints. She is obviously a great choice to add to my pen so I already listed her in their pen since I know for sure I'll be using her. Please y'all help me pick the best girls to breed to my 2 boys!

Chick colors I would love to get~
~any color paint
~chocolate
~calico
~splash
~mottled
~mille
~dun
~porcelain
~deep Red

And yes I do understand some of those colors aren't possible with what I have. Just listing colors I would like to have one day. Please comment which girls you think I should add to this pen and what colors they may produce when bred to each male!

Pics below are some of my frizzle paint hen and my chocolate roo that has different colored eyes (heterochromia) (please excuse his dirty tophat lol).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220102-181935_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220102-181935_Gallery.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20220102-095857_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220102-095857_Snapchat.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20211229-111651_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-111651_Snapchat.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20211229-111659_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-111659_Snapchat.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20211229-083119_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-083119_Snapchat.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20211229-083127_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-083127_Snapchat.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 46
You will not get any mottled, Mille Fleur, splash or porcelain with the birds you have.

Your chocolate rooster over black hens will give you sex linked chicks, chocolate girls and black boys.

Your paint should be bred to either paint, black or blue. You can get blue paint this way. Some argue not to mix blue with paint as the result can be hard to tell from splash but is genetically different from splash, but you can do what you want!😊

Definitely would put your paint hen with your paint rooster!

Your buff, partridge and red cochin don’t really mix traditionally with the colors of the roosters but I would try mixing with the chocolate and see what happens!

Good luck and definitely post chick photos when you get some!😍

I am about to start a new breeding pen and I need help picking which girls should go with my 2 boys.

New breeding pen~

Roos~ Silkies
×1~Chocolate
×1~Paint
Hens~Silkies
×1~Frizzled Paint

Available Silkie Hens~
×2~Buff
×2~Black
×2~Blue
×1~Partridge

Other Available Hens~
×2~Red Frizzle cochin

I need to know which hens will work in a breeding pen with my 2 roos and make good colored chicks. I know if my frizzled paint silkie hen breeds to the chocolate roo I have a chance of chocolate paints and if she breeds to the paint boy obviously she will throw some paints. She is obviously a great choice to add to my pen so I already listed her in their pen since I know for sure I'll be using her. Please y'all help me pick the best girls to breed to my 2 boys!

Chick colors I would love to get~
~any color paint
~chocolate
~calico
~splash
~mottled
~mille
~dun
~porcelain
~deep Red

And yes I do understand some of those colors aren't possible with what I have. Just listing colors I would like to have one day. Please comment which girls you think I should add to this pen and what colors they may produce when bred to each male!

Pics below are some of my frizzle paint hen and my chocolate roo that has different colored eyes (heterochromia) (please excuse his dirty tophat lol).
So, about that chocolate rooster...

If you put him with a blue hen, you'll get blue and black cockerels that carry chocolate, and mauve and chocolate pullets.

Put him with the partridge and you'll get chocolate pullets split to partridge and black cockerels (probably with leakage) split to both partridge and chocolate. You can then breed one of the cockerels back to the partridge hen, half the chicks will be partridge, half the pullets will be chocolate, hopefully a few of the pullets will be both. If not so lucky, a chocolate pullet from this breeding can be bred back to the split male, and half of all chicks will be chocolate, and about 25% of the chicks will be partridge.

You can also mate one paint to a blue, another to a chocolate and then in the next generation but blue paint and chocolate paint together for mauve paint. You'd have a chance for frizzle passed from that one hen, I'm not sure anyone has had a frizzled mauve paint before.

So, about that chocolate rooster...

If you put him with a blue hen, you'll get blue and black cockerels that carry chocolate, and mauve and chocolate pullets.

Put him with the partridge and you'll get chocolate pullets split to partridge and black cockerels (probably with leakage) split to both partridge and chocolate. You can then breed one of the cockerels back to the partridge hen, half the chicks will be partridge, half the pullets will be chocolate, hopefully a few of the pullets will be both. If not so lucky, a chocolate pullet from this breeding can be bred back to the split male, and half of all chicks will be chocolate, and about 25% of the chicks will be partridge.

You can also mate one paint to a blue, another to a chocolate and then in the next generation but blue paint and chocolate paint together for mauve paint. You'd have a chance for frizzle passed from that one hen, I'm not sure anyone has had a frizzled mauve paint before.
I think I'll try a muave paint at some point! Sounds awesome.

Back
Top Bottom