Help Me Plant a Chicken Garden!

Quote:
Super invasive depending where you are. Around here they spend thousands of dollars to remove it from lakes and control it.
sad.png

I'm sure you could find a comfrey plant or root if you google it - various gardening/seed catalogs carry it. But if you know anyone who has some in their garden, they could just dig up and give you a chunk of root to start it - grows super fast, very large, and it's pretty, with slender stalks of purple flowers. It's nearly indestructable, you can just yank out a bunch of leaves from time to time, and my chickens (and my horses, too) just love it. Actually, my chickens eat about everything I grow, but I've noticed they are particularly fond of kale and chard, and these will give you a nice long growing season, providing good green stuff through most of the fall.

TheyThinkI'mTheirMom: Its mainly for the chickens and my other animals. I'm trying to keep our feed bills as low and organic as possible. The catnip and other herbs will be shared with us though. Catnip tea is just too good not to drink! We have a large garden for our family/friends.

This is a way for me to grow and document for my blog and book how to do square foot gardening with various species too.

Nostalchic: I'll check the Internet out for the rootstock. I wonder if (Cynoglossum virginianum) is as edible for livestock as European comfrey? I'm gonna Google that now.

new chick 203: I have native duckweed so I doubt it will be much of a problem. Birds will not have access to my pools so it won't spread.

Thanks guys!
pop.gif

Here are the greens I planted. I have to get the violets moved next!

100_3591.jpg

100_3567.jpg

Here's some bittercress. The more I think about all these yummy weeds, the more I think the chickens will have to SHARE with us! lol

100_3568.jpg

I stumbled across shepherd's purse on the Internet and realized that is a common weed here! Such luck! Spring and summer cannot get here soon enough.
barnie.gif

My chickens loved strawberries, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and watermelon. Occasionally they would eat the mint and parsley, but I think they have a sweet tooth, nobody was interested in the veggies like cucumber or zucchini.

Back
Top Bottom