Help me put our neighbors at ease!

kira782

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Littleton, Colorado
I'm writing a letter to my neighbors letting them know that we would like to have a coop with 4 chicken in our backyard (middle of suburbia, chickens are legal in our area). I would like to include our thoughts on where the coop will be, what it will look like and what they might be able to expect from being neighbors with a few chickens, hopefully answering any questions or addressing an concerns they might have before we start the process. We've only been in our house 6 months and so far we're on great terms with our neighbors and we want to make sure it stays that way!

What info do you suggest I put in our friendly letter that might help them not worry about our future feather friends?

My husband had the same idea with our neighbors. Unfortunately, I didn't think it was any of their business as it's my yard. Needless to say, he makes a better neighbor. I commend you on being proactive. Having chickens has been a great activity for our family and the eggs are an added bonus. Good luck with your adventure!

Quote:
@hisdaughter That's funny because giving the neighbor a heads up was my husbands idea! And I'll begrudgingly agree that its kind of a good one as or neighbors have a pretty direct view into our yard. Of course if one of them comes back to me throwing a fit about it I'm not too sure what my next move will be! Are your neighbors houses fairly close to yours? Have you had any complaints?

Others may not agree..but if my neighbor and I got along fine..and then I got a letter about wanting chickens..blah blah.....that would really make me wonder why they did not feel they could come over and just say...hey..having chickens here is legal so I just wanted to let you know you may be getting some farm fresh eggs now and then....case closed. The letter seems like you are expecting issues.

Quote:
Why? I think you're asking for potential trouble. I am hugely in favor of getting along with neighbors, but I have never gone farther than a friendly chat over the fence when they ask me what I'm doing. Yes, it may affect them in a small way, so I'd say get all pullets out of courtesy, but no reason to "justify" anything in advance. Coop appearance, location? Just follow common courtesy standards.

DO make sure you are 100% in the clear- make sure you don't have deed or HOA restrictions hidden somewhere.

Best wishes to you, post some pics!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Great thought. Talk to them in person, maybe invite them over for burgers and brats and walk the yard with them laying out the plan.

As part of our permit request, the town sent letters to our abutting neighbors asking for their approval. 2 out of 3 said it was ok, #3 is directly behind us and has a big golden retriever. Our big golden retirever went over to play one time and stayed for breakfast (theirs - he is a rescue and was always scrounging for food at that point). Needless to say, they have issues with the dog. However, the town felt that 2 out of 3 was enough and let us have our 4 chickens, which has grown to 12. The kids in the nieghborhood love the chickens and always come over and bring them clover.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom