HELP ME SETTLE BATTLE over coop size. if you can... :)

I thought I might need to add a little to what I previously posted.

I just noticed that you are in a MUCH colder climate than I am, and that will certainly play a role in how many chickens you can house in a small coop.

I am in So. Cal., so our winters consist of about 3 weeks that I cant wear shorts , tank tops, and flip-flops
big_smile.png

A Harsh Winter, means that it rains more than 3 times in one week for more than an hour,...
anywhere between late January, to early April,...
AND I have to wear a flannel shirt... for the WHOLE DAY !
barnie.gif

In a area that regularly gets snow,.... (that's a term for a weather condition I've heard of, but never really seen it)
hu.gif
idunno.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
I would suspect that your birds would need to have a bit more room when they are "cooped-up".

As has been suggested already, the general rule of thumb is, 4 to 6 sq. ft. of Coop Floor Space, per bird,..... and That is WHEN they will also have some pen/run space.
(yeah, I'd be going agains't the rule of thumb, with 10 or 12 birds, but I'll probably be expanding the coop to a 4' x 12' soon.),
But I do have a pretty good sized pen/run too.
wee.gif

also remember that standard size chickens get BIG.
Some breeds like Australorps, and Orpingtons can go over 8 lbs. each !

My birds are only 4 months old now, and since when I got them as 3 day old chicks,....
they have gone from this....

Aruacana/Easter egger
IMG_1023.jpg

Barred Rock
IMG_1016.jpg

to THIS....... (heck, their Heads are now bigger than the Whole chick was !!!)

EE
IMG_1839.jpg

BR
IMG_1841.jpg

Last edited:
I started small and it did not take long to know I needed more space. With the 6 chickens and an outside run you need a min of 24 sq/ft inside so go with the 4X8 or atleast 4X6. Chickens are messy at night so the more room you have the less time you will need to spend in there cleaning.
Good Luck!

The 4 x 4 coop is far too small, and will only lead to problems with your birds, and the care of the birds. Even if you are skirting the law here, and want to present the smallest profile, I think you need to look at disguising it, or putting it against the back wall of the house, planting bushes around it so it is not as visible, or doing what someone else here suggested---making a combination garden or tool shed/ coop. That's what we did. Of course in our case chicken math became an issue, and our original flock of six is now two separate flocks totaling nineteen birds.
Regardless of if you actually get more birds or not, you need a bigger coop for the six birds.

Hello! I agree with most everyone else. This is our first time at haveing chickens and after alot of reading and talking I went with a 4x8 with external nesting boxes so there would be more floor space.we only have 5 chicks but I am already wondering if I might have to add on He!He! i did give them an 8 x 20ft run but that won't do a whole lot of good in the winter when there is snow everywhere.Good luck winning the battle!!! LOL
JIM&LINDY

you all were great. Thank you. 4x8 is the new size. Thank you. And I believe I will build it MYSELF.

Last thing will a 10X10 run be enough?

Thanks again to all who replied....
Feel free to continue to leave your comments.
wink.png

Ours is approx 8x11 (house is 4x8 and the run is 8x7) 7ft at the high side and 5ft at the low side with 3 hens and a newly hatched chick. We are only allowed 4 hens total.

Front view

24996_moto_0072.jpg

Side view

24996_moto_0070.jpg

Oh, and here is the original temporary coop that was built in a day.

24996_coop2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom