Help me sex a funny-looking mutt

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Felicitas, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Here s/he is:

[​IMG]

This 12-week-old bird hatched out of a brownish-pink egg in a group of Easter Eggers eggs I bought off eBay, and it looked different from the start. Right now the only way it has anything in common with its EE compatriots in the flock is the fact that it has tufts. It's very lean compared to all my others, and it has really long and rangy, bright yellow legs that make me think it may have some modern game in it somewhere. But anyway, it's really and truly a mutt, and I am mostly curious as to whether it's male or female. I honestly have no clue. [​IMG] Can anyone help?

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    ee cockeral [​IMG]

eta- he has muffs/beard, tufts are totally different [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  3. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I was going to say hen-
    Look at the comb.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I did, pea comb(whether crossed or not) that red at 3 months, definite cockeral. I have true ameraucana and my pullets don't get red combs until 6+ months

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  5. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's a cockerel, that will mean that only one of about ten EE eggs I hatched has turned out to be a pullet. Now that's some rotten luck!

6. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I agree that the comb looks a little cockish

7. dr_lukanov

dr_lukanov Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    cockeral [​IMG]

8. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Quote:I did, pea comb(whether crossed or not) that red at 3 months, definite cockeral. I have true ameraucana and my pullets don't get red combs until 6+ months

I should have put my glasses on! Haha! I thought it was just a really immature, regular spiked comb.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    It is definately a young rooster. There is no doupt. Not just the comb, but also the way it is feathering.

You have to remember that EEs are mutts and you can never be sure what they will through. Especially if they egg was not at least green.

Matt

10. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

cockeral

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by