Help me sex my bird! Want to avoid getting in trouble with city.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wickstopher, Aug 21, 2011.

1. wickstopher

wickstopher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Hi, there! I have a silver laced Wyandotte that I believe is about 5-6 months old (ballpark). I'd like to enlist someone out there with a trained eye as to whether or not this may be a rooster. I've already had to get rid of one bird due to cock-a-doodling, and if this one is a rooster as well I'd like to get rid of it before it begins to be a problem/nuissance. I live in a city (Rochester, NY) and therefore am not allowed to keep roosters due to the noise ordinance. It's hard to see in these pictures, but (s)he has the tiny little beginnings of leg spurs which is what got me to wondering in the first place. I know that hens can have small spurs as well, I just want to show the pics and get some opinions! Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    I would guess a male. Sorry. But yeah it is easier if you post pics directly into the post if you are able to [​IMG]

3. kyfarm

kyfarm Out Of The Brooder

i dont know but from our own rooster chicks we get crowing at about 3 months so if no crowing i would guess on the female side...

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    That is absolutely a rooster! pretty too

5. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Sorry but that's a rooster.

6. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    I would guess its a male too... sorry about that. but how did you post your picture? I thought new eggs couldn't post pictures!

7. Kaelinstorm

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    Just FYI from what Ive learned from this forum... it seems that the feathers near the tail are called Saddle feathers (Someone correct me if Im wrong) and if they are long, whispy and pointed then your looking at a Roo... Heres your picture, highlighting what Im talking about

[​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:you got it--and the hackle feathers too:)

9. Kaelinstorm

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    Yay! I love this forum! See I learned something! Haha

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    100% rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by