Help me think outside of the box on some small coop designs

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
I am desperately needing to get some secure outdoor coops built and money is tight. I need some 4 x 6 coops built but am not having a lot of luck finding free or cheap materials right now. Has anyone ever used pieces of furniture or other different things to build coops out of?

I am having raccoon problems right now so I have take all my young pullets and 9 mos old Delawares and moved them to my coop I have already and moved out my 3 year old hens and have left the young cockerals out in the areas that have shelter but it is not secure.

I would really like to get this taken care of soon. Please share and show pictures!

I suggest a 3 sided shelter/run combination. One open side facing away from expected prevailing winds, dirt floor, and a wire apron around the whole outside and a top with wire over the run.Make it tight and make shre nothing can dig in. This kind of arrangement has been proven in Canadian winters and is a winner. Google 3 sided coop for more ideas.........Pop

I should have added that the run area is not a problem per say other than I don't have a way to lock them up at night. I have 6' dog kennel panels I am using for runs that are working out good except at night.

I should have added that the run area is not a problem per say other than I don't have a way to lock them up at night. I have 6' dog kennel panels I am using for runs that are working out good except at night.
If you can get a grip on the 3 sided coop idea, you will see that you don't have to lock them up at night, so long as your coop/run is predator proof. I also use dog kennel for runs. In my climate, I don't need a "coop", but I've read a lot about the 3 sided coop idea and basically it just keeps the wind/rain/snow off them and leaves one side open to the air. If you think about it, you will see that a secure 3 sided coop/run is perfect, even in extreme cold. The problem of combs and wattles freezing is caused by humidity insde a closed coop. Humidity also causes mold in the bedding, which is deadly. Like I said before, open air 3 sided coops are proven in Canadian winters.........Pop

Back
Top Bottom