Help Me Understand Fast and Slow Feathering

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
2 of my 3 Langshans are slow feathering and their comb declare that they're definitely boys.

The girl, Sesame, got her feathers right along with the others, being pretty-well-covered and ready to go off heat in my moderate temperatures at 4 weeks while En Croute is now finally well-feathered at 8 weeks and Kung Pao still has some pin-feathery spots.

How does the slow-feather gene work?

Would a slow-feather rooster make sex-links with an assortment of other-breed hens?

It is a dominant sex-linked gene.
With sex-linked genes, males always can have two alleles for the gene while females only have one. Females always receive their allele from their father while males receive one from each parent. With recessive sex-linked genes males need one copy from each parent for it to be expressed. Therefore even though both male and female offspring might have one copy of the fast-feathering gene, since cockerels also have a copy of slow feathering (dominant) from their mothers, they are slow feathering.

Would a slow-feather rooster make sex-links with an assortment of other-breed hens?
No. Rather, a fast feathering rooster would make sexlinks with slow feathering hens (which are quite hard to come by.)

It is a dominant sex-linked gene.
With sex-linked genes, males always can have two alleles for the gene while females only have one. Females always receive their allele from their father while males receive one from each parent. With recessive sex-linked genes males need one copy from each parent for it to be expressed. Therefore even though both male and female offspring might have one copy of the fast-feathering gene, since cockerels also have a copy of slow feathering (dominant) from their mothers, they are slow feathering.

No. Rather, a fast feathering rooster would make sexlinks with slow feathering hens (which are quite hard to come by.)

Thank you.

So if one of these slow feathering cockerels ends up as my flock rooster what would the Punnet Square look like?

Thank you.

So if one of these slow feathering cockerels ends up as my flock rooster what would the Punnet Square look like?
Thank you.

Excuse the handwriting. In the instance that the males are homozygous, all offspring will be slow feathering. In the instance that they are heterozygous half of the offspring will be slow feathering.

I have some examples.

Slow feathering cockerel.
20210512_094837.jpg
Fast Feathering Cockerel.
20210512_095135.jpg
Fast Feathering Pullets
20210512_095427.jpg
20210512_095607.jpg
Chicks are all 7 days old.

Back
Top Bottom