Help me understand the difference between BEARDS and MUFFS?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lisahaschickens, Apr 13, 2009.

1. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Newbie here!

I generally hear about beards and muffs together in the same sentence. I know what bearded/muffed birds look like in general, but I have tried to look for an exact definition of each, and have come up emptyhanded.

Can someone please tell me exactly what is a beard and what is a muff and what is the difference? Can there be a beard without a muff and vice versa? I want to not sound ignorant when I talk about my EEs on my blog as they grow up. I know they are developing beards/muffs, but I would like to sound knowledgeable.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The beard is under the "chin". The muffs are soft fluff sticking out horizontally from under the eye area. I guess you can have one without the other, but have never seen it in my Ameraucanas or EEs.

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    What she said, think of it like this, muffs are on the side of the fce, like ear muffs for chickens LOL...the beard is under the chin, essentially, it is actually three tufts of feathers.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Beards and muffs aren't tufts. Tufts grow out of a piece of fleshy skin called an peduncle. Muffs and beards grow directly out of the facial skin.

Think of muffs as lambchop-style sideburns and beards as, well, beards.

A single gene causes beards & muffs. It is incompletely dominant, so I suppose in a heterozygous bird you might see mostly muffs or mostly beard, but it would usually be poor quality of both.

5. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    do silkies have muffs? or just beards??

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    See the black EE in the middle? She has a beard AND muffs.

Edited to say oops...reread the OP and realize that the photo was not needed.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    In general, you cannot have muffs without beards or beards without muffs.

Yes, silkies have both.

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I'd love to see a photo of a chicken with muffs/no beard, and vice-versa- this would better help me understand.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Can't have one--it's all or nothing. Muffs are on cheeks; beards are on chins.

10. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    ok, so this is one of my EE girls... she is 9.5 weeks old and her beard/muffs are really starting to show. However, it all looks like one thing to me... a continuous beard-like thing that goes from one side of the face, under the chin, and around to the other side of the face... so I am still unclear how it is two different things... pics of just one or the other (beard OR muffs) would be greatly helpful for my understanding...

[​IMG]

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by