1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me with Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oceanbird, Dec 24, 2007.

1. oceanbird

oceanbird Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    So my RIR is broody- I don't have a rooster and have no interest or room for any more chickens- we already have more eggs than I can give away. I live in a cold winter area and I'm worried that if I let her sit on eggs all day she won't eat enough to stay warm and healthy. What should I do? The man who lived here before me left these big wire nest like things, does this have anything to do with it?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmm, not sure what the wire nest like things are....but, since you have no roo..the eggs are not fertile....so just take them away from her. She will either sit on an empty nest....or you will break her broodyness(not likely tho) She will get down to eat when she is good and hungry. I have a broody Buff orp...and she is setting on an empty nest...I cant let her raise babies in this cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by