Help me with my lone rooster!

Simple Life

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
I have three roos and they were raised together from two days old. My hens started laying yesterday and before i knew it two of my roosters were chasing the third until i stepped in the the garden hose and rescued him. I know hormones are flaring and the pecking order is being figured out but I have had enough. I will not watch them hurt the underdog but I am not going to eat them either. He is now in my backyard fenced in with food, water, shade, and plenty of grass and bugs. My question is should i let him roost at night with the flock of two roos and 12 hens in their coop or let him stay in my back yard until I can re-home one of my roos who I think is the root of the problem, or get rid of both and keep the one that is being picked on? Is he ok in my backyard with no coop? Also, should I put a few hens in the backyard during the day to keep him company or are roosters ok alone for now? Thank you so much if you have any suggestions!!

What I would do is rehome 2 of the roosters. 12 to 1 is a good ratio, especially if you do not have a lot of space for them or are not able to keep them separate permanently. In the meantime, I'm sure your lone rooster would love some company and if possible, to share the coop with the others at night. Chances are he will get bullied a bit in the mornings, before you remove him to his own pen, but I'm more concerned about nighttime predators. There are a lot of creatures that comes out at night and a sleepy chicken is easy prey.

Decide now which rooster you want to keep, and pull the other two out, keeping them separate until you figure out what to do with them. Keep in mind, there's not a huge market for pet roosters.........

Thank you to everyone who replied, i have made up my mind anf finding new homes for two roosters. Until then, i am going to keep them seperated. I know people are not lining up wanting roosters but i really dont want to send them to a kitchen table. I will keep you updated! Thanks again!

Don't be afraid of freezer camp! Backyard chickens are for eating, and boy are they delicious!
I'm sure they are! But some of us (myself included) keep chickens for eggs, or as pets
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom