Help me with this math please!

missydcpc

Songster
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
South-Central PA
I'm having the coop built in our detached garage. It will be 14×20. Based on the 4 ft per bird idea..BF says that lets us have 50 chickens, this can't be right, can it? We won't have that many, but chicken math has already happened, and our desire for 10is up to 15, and I'm concerned with crowding.

14x20 gives you 280 sq ft of space. Plenty of space for 10ish, up to 15!

280 / 4 = 70 birds

15 birds would be allowing over 18 sq ft per bird

Personally I wouldnt want more than 40 in there​

Last edited:
Quote:
280 / 4 = 70 birds

15 birds would be allowing over 18 sq ft per bird

Personally I wouldnt want more than 40 in there

Class is in!

14 x 20 = 280
280 divide 4 sq ft per bird = 70 birds.

I wouldn't have half that many though.

That is about double the space of my shed coop. In it, I have found that 20 large fowl make it comfortably full. Any more and it's a little jammed.

Also, the birds don't use the coop for anything other than laying and eating, usually.

If you have heavy snow, I would definitely decrease the number of birds drastically as they will live indoors a lot most likely.

So I would put no more than 40 in there, but less if you get fowl weather (pun intended).

Also they are supposed to have at least 10 sq. ft. in the run on top of the 4 sq. ft. per chicken in the coop. More is better = happier chickens. So if your run isn't going to be very large I would definitely downscale your numbers of chickens.

10-15 hens would be very happy in that space, as you had planned. You don't need to pack it full...they will be healthier that way!!!

Last edited:
I don't want to pack them in, but was thinking at some point may want to get some meaties and figured I could divide off a section.. Glad that I have plenty of space!

Back
Top Bottom