Help me withthe kinds of chickens

Quote:
They are all good breeds. Leghorns are great egg layers of white eggs, but the others are all good layers as well.

Just curious, why don't you like Barred Rocks?

Quote:
They are all good breeds. Leghorns are great egg layers of white eggs, but the others are all good layers as well.

Just curious, why don't you like Barred Rocks?

Hello everybody. Thank you all for your replys. Its hard to pick because I have alot of people that have said good about all the breeds and I don't want to make anyone mad. I guess just keep the suggestions coming and majority rules.
gig.gif
:

Hello FrizzleRule.

The barred rocks are not at the top of my list because every single one that I have had( 10 hens and 1-2 roosters) would never lay one egg. I have had them for over 9 months now and they are starting to lay maybe 1-2 eggs per day from 10 hens. I don't know if the breeder messed up with something or the babaies were mutated when I got them. The birds are very pretty. They are basically my "friends" as every single one including the rooster will eat out of my hands and one even flies up on my shoulder. I guess this is why I haven't sold them is beacuse how friendly they are. The egg laying is the worst in my opinion though. I am not trying to sound hipocritical but I would just prefer not to buy more of this breed. And for all of you Barred Rock lovers please don't take offense to this because I am not meaning that. Thank you FrizzleRule. Dusty

Last edited:
lol, it's not the breed or the breeder. It's how their coming of age corresponded with the seasons, don't worry they will kick into gear here soon. Most any other breed would have done the same.

Quote:
Oh. Well I feel just about dumb then. II knew that chickens slacked off in winter because of light but... Well thank you for telling me. I hope they will start laying in a few months!

oh dear I wasn't trying to make you feel dumb! I was just laughing because most first time chicken owners (me included) did the same thing. Buy chicks in late spring, raise them all summer, and then just about the time when they should start laying - shorter days and longer nights hit, which tells their biological clocks to hold off on laying until spring.
If you get a light and a timer and put in in their coop to extend the day at both ends they will start up shortly, (it took mine 2 weeks).

Hello. I knew that you are supposed to have so much light.14-16 hours a day.
big_smile.png
. Please don't take me the qrong way either. These are not my first chickens. i have had chickens for 5 years now. I am not ttrying to be a smart ellic so please don't take it that way. I am just saying that you didn't make me feel dumb, that's just me.
gig.gif
It's fun to have people that joke around and don't have a fit if you say something the wrong way. So you DID NOT make me feel dumb. It was just a joke hahaha. Hope you have a good day and keep posting. I like to read what other people have to think:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom