HELP ME!!!!

Thank-you CherryChicken and Horse-girl for the condolences of my chickens, 2 of them were my favorites and very pretty already, I know can only imagine how beautiful they would have become.

It's a dogs natural instinct to chase/eat chicken. Doesn't mean he's a "bad" dog or doesn't mean he would ever hurt your kids either...just doing what god programmed him to do (be a dog)! Glad your not going to shoot it! I think you made the right choice to rehome the chickens if it doesn't' work out. SO sorry to hear about your babies too! That would be a hard decision! Hope the kids are ok with what ever you decide.

I also wanted to add that we added on a top to the run so that no other preds would get them, so hopefully I will not have to give them back to the in-laws, which is where we got them.

I am sure that will help. Again if you find they are escaping from the bottom i would put up a 1 x 6 pressure treated base board all around the run and dig down just to be sure. I really hope this works out so the chickens dont get killed.

Just an update, today walked outside, dog in fence, chickens in pen, everyone accounted for and doing well. Thanks for all the advice. I don't think the chickens like being in there all the time but they have plenty of room for now and at least I know they are safe even if they don't.

If it is big enough don't worry about them. DH is the same way. Years ago he said don't you think the parakeets want to be set free? Not realizing that if we let them out of their cage they would be dead in 72 hours because they can't fend for themselves. For him it was the romantic idea that they need to roam free!

I say which is better.... a few hours of "freedom" while dodging predators, running for their lives scared to death and staving alone. Or a nice life in a house big enough for their dimensions with food and safety provided for them.

Last edited:
I've used a shock collar with flags posted all along where the dog is allowed to go with great results. I even tried it on myself first. It's light banging your elbow really hard.

If you have a neighbor who has a dead chicken, you might consider spraying it heavily with Bitter Apple which is the most bitter substance on Earth (tried it myself too) and your dog will NEVER touch one of your chickens again.

woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom