help meat birds growing fast & 3 growing slow

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bethsplace, May 31, 2011.

1. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    I bought my cornish form TSC I bought 6, three eat like machines and are ready to butcher at 7 weeks but the other 3 are not, they are a typical size for their age, whats going on they dont eat like the others they just eat normal they look like identical birds except for size. should I just have the ones that are ready to be butchered done and wait on the other if so how much longer will it take for the others?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Well, when they're ready, they're ready, so I'd have the 3 larger ones done when it's time. If you wait too long, they may develop CHF or other issues.

Its possible that the other 3 are some other breed -- perhaps white leghorns? Or they weren't carefully bred and aren't pure. Cornish x.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree butcher whats ready when they are ready otherwise you stand a chance of loosing them.
    the three others could have a couple of answers
    1. Like someone said "not CX" you can tell by looking at them
    2. they were runts and pushed away from the feed - not much you can do they seem to have more injuries and problems than the hardier ones, I advise an extra week of feed and then re evaluating the situation.
    3. You have three big males and three smaller females - butcher three now and three in 2-3 weeks.

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Males & Females would be my guess with out a picture or two. I ended up with 2 males and 10 females and there is a deffinate difference in growth

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by