Help meeded qith harlequin

Pics
The honeycombs, if you have a syringe, you can give it 1ml a day of this. A dropper full is just under that, so it would probably work ok.

I have never used the rooster booster B-12. This one doesn't have naicin in it. This is what I use. But I think your honeycomb niacin should be sufficient.

PXL_20210913_025713315.jpg

How’s your drake doing?
Good morning all. Well our status has not changed. I started hand feeding fruit yesterday but that was a feet he can't seem to get the food down. I have to hold him and his neck so he can "squish" it and do the head thing they do, to swallow. He gets niacin and the B complex daily I have two buckets of electrolyte water out daily and in the evening as well. All buckets have niacin. I dont think he is actually eating any food. He won't fight his way in. He waits and there is usual nothing left. I'm out of Kaytee food. Was thinking of doing just the pellets to see if would eat them out of my hand? but even that would take 30 min or more I can't do that everyday before work. I'd have to be up at 430. Not complaining just stating a fact. Do either of you @Quatie or @Miss Lydia have any other suggestions?.niacin is 1 dropper full a day. B is 1cc . I add it to the syringe when tube feeding to make sure he actually gets it... I am still tube feeding 2 times a day right now... before and after work. I was hoping by day 3 of the niacin drops I'd see an improvement. He isn't worse but no better. I'm not sure he would even eat on his own. I'm at a loss at this point...any suggestions to get him to eat?? If I put him in his own enclosure he won't eat or drink because he is away from the other ducks.. but he refuses to fight his way in for. food .I leave a tray of food out all day as well as they are still young. HELP.. again... thanks

Good morning all. Well our status has not changed. I started hand feeding fruit yesterday but that was a feet he can't seem to get the food down. I have to hold him and his neck so he can "squish" it and do the head thing they do, to swallow. He gets niacin and the B complex daily I have two buckets of electrolyte water out daily and in the evening as well. All buckets have niacin. I dont think he is actually eating any food. He won't fight his way in. He waits and there is usual nothing left. I'm out of Kaytee food. Was thinking of doing just the pellets to see if would eat them out of my hand? but even that would take 30 min or more I can't do that everyday before work. I'd have to be up at 430. Not complaining just stating a fact. Do either of you @Quatie or @Miss Lydia have any other suggestions?.niacin is 1 dropper full a day. B is 1cc . I add it to the syringe when tube feeding to make sure he actually gets it... I am still tube feeding 2 times a day right now... before and after work. I was hoping by day 3 of the niacin drops I'd see an improvement. He isn't worse but no better. I'm not sure he would even eat on his own. I'm at a loss at this point...any suggestions to get him to eat?? If I put him in his own enclosure he won't eat or drink because he is away from the other ducks.. but he refuses to fight his way in for. food .I leave a tray of food out all day as well as they are still young. HELP.. again... thanks
So when tube feeding I have always taken their pellets, added water, and threw it in a blender. I have never used the kaytee food. I do understand it gets tiring.

I do still wonder if he got something like botulism or ate something toxic. Activated charcoal to me would be worth trying. It won't hurt the duck, do it would be worth just trying. You can get activated charcoal pills at a pharmacy. Here is how to give a duck a pill.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-give-a-duck-a-pill.1213474/

@HollowOfWisps I am not sure if we have tagged you on this. You may have a different perspective.

I agree with @Quatie with switching to making a liquid with duck pellets in a blender as the Kaytee hand feeding formula is not designed for waterfowl who require much higher levels of vitamins and certain nutrients.

You said he won't fight for food when he is with the others. Do you have multiple feeding stations spread far enough apart to prevent bullying?

I know I sound like a salesman at this point (I promise I definitely do not get paid they're the ones taking all of my money😂) but Rooster Booster's Poultry Cell is my go to. It has saved my ducks many times and has worked better for my flock than anything else. I've even seen results within hours with ducklings I've had flopping over using a good dose of it. However, if he is deficient in Niacin it could take a full week to weeks to see any further improvement. The more deficient the more you have to work to build back up the levels to the point where their bodies can maintain those levels as well.

So when tube feeding I have always taken their pellets, added water, and threw it in a blender. I have never used the kaytee food. I do understand it gets tiring.

I do still wonder if he got something like botulism or ate something toxic. Activated charcoal to me would be worth trying. It won't hurt the duck, do it would be worth just trying. You can get activated charcoal pills at a pharmacy. Here is how to give a duck a pill.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-give-a-duck-a-pill.1213474/

@HollowOfWisps I am not sure if we have tagged you on this. You may have a different perspective.
Wouldn't the others show signs as well if he had eaten something. He follows them to eat and barely does. so I would have thought another would also be showing signs,no? They do get to eat alot out of our mulch could it be that? I do give them fruit/veggies daily, but none of the others again , show anything. I can do the pellets with water not a problem I'm going to TSC to get another bag today . Thanks for the input

I agree with @Quatie with switching to making a liquid with duck pellets in a blender as the Kaytee hand feeding formula is not designed for waterfowl who require much higher levels of vitamins and certain nutrients.

You said he won't fight for food when he is with the others. Do you have multiple feeding stations spread far enough apart to prevent bullying?

I know I sound like a salesman at this point (I promise I definitely do not get paid they're the ones taking all of my money😂) but Rooster Booster's Poultry Cell is my go to. It has saved my ducks many times and has worked better for my flock than anything else. I've even seen results within hours with ducklings I've had flopping over using a good dose of it. However, if he is deficient in Niacin it could take a full week to weeks to see any further improvement. The more deficient the more you have to work to build back up the levels to the point where their bodies can maintain those levels as well.
Yes we have 3 places to eat and he usually eats with 1 male and 3 females. Ok so if he is that deficient and still "drink walking and wobbly" I should atop the B complex increase the niacin and try the rooser booster? I'm almost out of niacin again becuae. I have it in all the qaterering areas and we have approx 10 4 quart buckets all over... should I not add to buckets and just to his tube feeding once a day? He is also getting electrolyte water daily.

Yes we have 3 places to eat and he usually eats with 1 male and 3 females. Ok so if he is that deficient and still "drink walking and wobbly" I should atop the B complex increase the niacin and try the rooser booster? I'm almost out of niacin again becuae. I have it in all the qaterering areas and we have approx 10 4 quart buckets all over... should I not add to buckets and just to his tube feeding once a day? He is also getting electrolyte water daily.
For the naicin to be effective, it needs to be directly administered to the duck and not put in the water. Since you are already tube feeding. I would personally add into whatever you are tube feeding so you don't need to orally administer with a syringe. This is likely why the naicin is not helping. If I am reading it correctly, I would do niacin along with rooster booster. The high level vitamin b complex at TSC has a lot more naicin in it.

Wouldn't the others show signs as well if he had eaten something. He follows them to eat and barely does. so I would have thought another would also be showing signs,no? They do get to eat alot out of our mulch could it be that? I do give them fruit/veggies daily, but none of the others again , show anything. I can do the pellets with water not a problem I'm going to TSC to get another bag today . Thanks for the input

Looking at a bigger picture it is really hard to say, since nothing has really been eliminated. I don't honestly think it is botulism, but a toxin is still possible depending on how much and what it is. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a plant or animal, but something like a nail. I mostly brought it up again assuming you had been giving the naicin orally.

Personally, knowing it won't hurt the duck, I would treat for both a deficiency and a possible toxin.

Back
Top Bottom