Help! Missing eggs

thomassio

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
I'm baffled......
I have 6 runners, 5 girls and their drake. Three are broody and it's day 15. They were on 14 eggs between them and I'm removing fresh eggs each day. Over the last three days, we have 'lost' three eggs. They are now on 11. There's no sign of broken eggs, no shells or pieces. The Brodie's seem happy, and the run is predator proof. I'm wondering if something small could be getting in and taking whole eggs?! I really can't figure out what's happening to the eggs but if we loose an egg per day then they won't have any left by the time they are due to hatch. Any ideas anyone?

If it makes a difference, I'm in the uk.

Thanks all.

Thom.

I'm baffled......
I have 6 runners, 5 girls and their drake. Three are broody and it's day 15. They were on 14 eggs between them and I'm removing fresh eggs each day. Over the last three days, we have 'lost' three eggs. They are now on 11. There's no sign of broken eggs, no shells or pieces. The Brodie's seem happy, and the run is predator proof. I'm wondering if something small could be getting in and taking whole eggs?! I really can't figure out what's happening to the eggs but if we loose an egg per day then they won't have any left by the time they are due to hatch. Any ideas anyone?

If it makes a difference, I'm in the uk.

Thanks all.

Thom.
Snakes, weasels, minks all can get through very small holes. even some birds will take eggs. is there anyway you can set up a game camera maybe catch what ever it in the act?

Hi thomassio, I am from the UK too (up north), I would consider magpies as your egg thief. I've seen magpies attack other bird's nests and take the eggs, I guess a duck's coop/house would be much easier as they would just hop in through the door, grab and run. Evil birds.

Hi thomassio, I am from the UK too (up north), I would consider magpies as your egg thief. I've seen magpies attack other bird's nests and take the eggs, I guess a duck's coop/house would be much easier as they would just hop in through the door, grab and run. Evil birds.
Mag pies of course they will even go after ducklings and other small birds. We have a member on here who lost a gosling to mag pies

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think it can be a magpie as the run is secure. At least it's definitely bird proof. I'm back to thinking about rats at the moment but there's no egg shells left.

Back
Top Bottom