Help mites on the babies!!!!!

Cacklin" Hens :

I believe that Dio. Earth is a lot better because it is all-natural and organic.

I suppose it`s your success rate. Many people I have talked to have little or no success with DE. It seems to be a good deterrent, however you measure that, but Sevin is always successfull, even on infestations. Now I have used Adams Flea and Tick Dip for infestations and it works the absolute best on them with only one application, but I believe the initial question was not about infestations. Try DE if you want. It certainly is not "better" at doing it`s job than Sevin and not safer either.........Pop​

Quote:
I suppose it`s your success rate. Many people I have talked to have little or no success with DE. It seems to be a good deterrent, however you measure that, but Sevin is always successfull, even on infestations. Now I have used Adams Flea and Tick Dip for infestations and it works the absolute best on them with only one application, but I believe the initial question was not about infestations. Try DE if you want. It certainly is not "better" at doing it`s job than Sevin and not safer either.........Pop

How do you figure it isn't safer? Sevin is a poison. Albeit all medicine is poison...not to say sevin is a medicine. Just for fun I am giving a link to Carbaryl which of course is the active ingredient in Sevin. Don't think I am against it...I have it and will use it if the other poison I use (ivermectin 1% 1 drop in each armpit and 1 drop at the vent if I see those nasty critters there) doesn't work.
gig.gif
Usually the ivermectin does the trick. I use it once per month So the term "safe" is relative I guess...it is safe to cross the road...when no cars are present.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC32816

also for your viewing pleasure is a utube video explaining the benefits of DE (diatomaceous earth) which I dust my coop and runs with often. It is extremely absorbent and this alone helps keep the bugs/flies down. It's other properties get rid of other insects as well. FYI this product has been used for years in all of our grain products so when you eat cereal and bread you are likely eating food grade DE. MMMMmmmm!
droolin.gif

I used to be on the DE bandwagon. After locating some, and paying the exorbitant shipping on a 50 pound bag I was underwhelmed with it's performance.
hide.gif

From what I could tell, it made absolutely no difference in the bug population on the birds, or in their feed. I have a picture somewhere of insects crawling through a container of wheat and oats that I had liberally spiced with DE, so much that the grain looked chalky.

Yes, if you sprinkle it on chicken/guinea droppings the flies will decrease for a day or two. Any desiccant would do the same.

I bought a bag of Sevin and never looked back. For the few minutes I use it a couple of times a year, I feel that it is a low risk solution. Try not to inhale and wash your hands afterwards. You'll be fine.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have used it on an occasion but I have never had any mites on any of my chickens in the 6 years I have raised them. I don't know why I haven't, but I just haven't. I have recognized that it (for me) keeps a lot of the flies out though. I was just saying I would rather you DE because it is organic and not a poison. Sorry but I don't want to be feeding an animal poison that I will eat from. That's just me, but if it Sevin works for you, go for it!

Schooldog, the statement about DE not being safer than Sevin is based on many years of using Sevin on broodies, their nests and their newly hatched chicks. No problems at all. I can`t think how anything can be safer than that. Some folks seem to have success with DE and some don`t at all. Everyone has success with Sevin and no side effects........Pop

Back
Top Bottom