Help!!!! Mites

Wolfefarmyard

Crowing
Aug 18, 2017
Gansevoort, NY
So I have never had to deal with this before. So I'm freaking out! But I saw that one of my prized boys had a cut on his foot. So I brought him inside to clean it up. I carried him around and let him walk around the house for a little while. Then I decided to inspect his feathers. That's when I saw mites crawling around him! I brought him in the bath and scrubbed him. When he got out and blow dried he still had them! I don't know what to do! Can I or my dogs get mites too? I found one on my arm so I took a long shower. But I'm worried that they can be in my house now and my dogs could have them! I'm so worried and feel itchy b/c I'm so neurotic

Don't worry. You can't get lice from your chickens (and if they live on the chicken, they are lice. You can't get mites from your chickens either.)

You need to see if any of your other chickens are infected; they probably are. If so, you should probably clean the coop, destroy the bedding, and use some sort of insecticide to spray the hens. Permethrin spray is approved for use on chickens and works quite well.

Hey there, I've gone through the exact same thing with my flock recently, and have gotten it under control-thankfully. Permethrin Spray is good to use in the warmer weather so I wouldn't recommend ayour flock with it when its cold, since their immune systems could be already weak from the mites we don't want them to get even worse. It is good though to use the spray in the coop, after you clean it out. For your flock you could use this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...HnW3vUbQF7H-Nnf_PeMW5LBv2L66VTVAaAuM1EALw_wcB, it worked really well after I applied it to the flock for a couple of weeks.

Please keep us updated!!

~Meg

:hit
Don't worry. You can't get lice from your chickens (and if they live on the chicken, they are lice. You can't get mites from your chickens either.)

You need to see if any of your other chickens are infected; they probably are. If so, you should probably clean the coop, destroy the bedding, and use some sort of insecticide to spray the hens. Permethrin spray is approved for use on chickens and works quite well.

Okay, thank you. I literally just completely cleaned the coop last week:hit So I guess that I have to do that again. And can my dogs get them?

The first time I saw mites on my chickens it freaked me out too. It’s very easy to take care of though. Get some diatomaceous earth put some in their chicken coop bedding and give them a nice big box to have a dust bath with it in. The mite problem will be gone by next week.

Last edited:
You might want to do a good house cleaning next week after they’re all dead and then put down a layer of dust with a layer of betting on top. Keep the dust box for them. You won’t have this problem anymore.

Btw, before I went the all natural route, I tried several different Pesticide remedies that were well recommended. However, this all natural method really worked the best. Give it a try and let me know how it comes out. I feel confident your results will be as good as mine have been. It’s inexpensive and it won’t harm you or your chickens. I bought my bag from tractor supply company.

FYI, I do keep it out of my chicken boxes that my hens lay eggs in if I’m planning on them going broody and raising chicks. I’m afraid that the diatomaceous earth would cut down on the humidity and cause problems in hatching the eggs. I’m afraid that it will cut down on the humidity and calls each eggs have a problem hatching. Just wanted to let you about that.

Back
Top Bottom