Help- mommy hen pecking hatching eggs!

TrinityMystic

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2020
I found my broody hen pecking her pipped egg- I quickly went inside and set up my Brinsea and have placed hatching chick and her 3 other eggs into bator at 99.6F and about 60% humidity. All eggs are chirping but I’m concerned with blood at pip site where mom was pecking membrane. I carefully peeled a little more shell from area to see how much blood there is... I can’t really tell and I’m scared of chick bleeding to death- any advice??? Also chick pipped at opposite end of air pocket...
9B557821-AE0E-4FB8-97EB-2A5DD4035F73.jpeg

Be patient.

If chick can breath, it can zip the shell .

The blood supply in the membrane will decrease until it is gone. Then chick is ready to complete hatching process.

There is nothing to do to fix the bleeding. Its probably minor and hatching will proceed normally.

Be sure lots of fresh air is entering the incubator at this time.

good luck. fingers crossed.

Thanks for quick response- I had a feeling I just needed to breath and let nature do its thing- just wanted to make sure I was doing the best I could for the little guy/gal!

I remember thosr feelings. With experience you will know what to do, even if it is do nothing and wait.

Loosing chicks is hard. Never gets easier. Just knowing you are doing everything reasonable is reassuring and lowers the stress level.

How long to fully hatch is unkown.

That's not a dangerous amount of blood, but the chick does need more time to absorb. Since it's at the wrong end, it may not be able to zip, or it might have no trouble. Timewise, a pip at the wrong end is like an internal pip, so give it lots of time before you worry about if you have to help. Think 24hr from when it first pipped at least.

Good to know- she’s very active and chirping a lot, so she seems healthy- I haven’t noticed any more blood so I’m just going to let her absorb and do her thing- I will update tomorrow!

Happy update- chick hatched about 2 hours ago, she needed a little help via moistening the membrane that sort of shrank wrapped around her but after a few drops of warm water she wriggled her way out- no blood at all. She joined her hatch mates who both hatched yesterday!
BCB552D7-D6B1-4E99-9469-0AFE5D1A9EC2.jpeg
8D7A7D90-B97F-40F5-A52B-2A0FDB649519.jpeg
8D7A7D90-B97F-40F5-A52B-2A0FDB649519.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom