Help! month old chicky critically sick/starving!!!

Coccidiosis is a disease of protozoa in the gut of the chickens and in the soil. They usually develop immunity to it by 5 months old, but it can cause death or damage to the intestines. Chickens who survive a bout of cocci may never gain full weight or lay as well as others. If one chick has it the other chicks are at risk since it is very contagious. Diatomataceous earth or DE doesn't help or prevent cocci. Corid is the best treatment, but if you have Sulmet, it will treat the 2 worst strains of cocci.

she is much better but we can't get Corid or amprollium it's just too much of a fuss for us. we are feeding her Diatomaceous Earth (DE powder which was lying around in our cupboard in her water and it seems to work. link here :http://www.denz.co.nz/ She can now walk around but still needs assistance to feed. Maybe we can let her join the flock and get to her mom in two days.
smile.png

Getting Corid is too much fuss? Why? It will save her life if you get treatment started right away as well as any others that come down with this as well. Why let chicks die when the treatment is so simple? Coccidiosis is lethal but it's simple to cure IF you treat right away. It's always a good idea to keep Corid (or any amprolium product) on hand when raising chicks. While there is a small chance she may fight this off on her own and survive, it's far more likely she won't. DE will do nothing for coccidiosis, or pretty much anything else for that matter.

I agree with the comments about Coccidiosis and treatment with Corid. Basically if you have chicks at some point you'll have a bout with Coccidiosis that will need treatment. NO you can't treat with DE as noted above it will do nothing. Anyone that has chickens should always keep corid on hand. I learned the hard way. Now my first aid kit for chickens will never be without it. It is a powder form so the shelf life is a long time. Go through the fuss and get it, at some point you'll be glad you did. Also the little chick needs more than wheat. She is not getting the protein or vitamins that are so important at this stage. Chick starter feed should be what she is eating. Glad she is doing better, it sounded pretty bad at first. Hoping for the best.

Glad things are looking up for you. I agree 100% with all the other members on this thread. With the presence of blood in the stool, you need to treat for coccidiosis.

When my hens hatch out a brood, they are isolated from the flock-in their own brooder box. The hen and babies have chick starter feed and water 24/7. The broody will eat chick starter also. She is not laying eggs when she is broody, so she doesn't need layer feed. But the chicks need this nutrition. You can buy medicated or non medicated. Really a personal preference. I have raised many chicks and lost very few.

Last edited:
sorry I wasn't active for a while, obligations... well the chicky has made a full recovery and is back on her feet and with her mother, no bloody poop, no abnormalities, just acting the same as the other chicks
woot.gif
. I am soon getting corid for any other outbreaks.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom