Help! Mother and ducklings in garden pool

Pics

Jlze

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
Hi,
A mother duck and 15 ducklings have landed in my backyard swimming pool UK.
They must have had a nest on top of my shed & fell down from there.
I have made them a suitable ramp to get out the pool as well as a comfy spot to rest.
The garden is quite well fenced with neighbouring gardens all around Except for the front which look on to a main road.
I have 2 dogs which I’ve kept away.
I have considered trying to box them up and take them to a local pond so they can live a more natural life but I’m not sure their survival chances will be any better there than in my pool?
I have been feeding them corn, peas, yeast flakes, oats, scrambled egg and shell, crushed dog biscuits, grass, sweet potato and broccoli while I wait for the duckling crumble to arrive as there isn’t much natural food sources around the pool.

Can anyone advise what is best to do for the ducks in this situation? I am worried about them being out at night but then they’d be out on their own at night at the local park pond?

Attachments

• 0342AF8C-89DE-4D92-99BB-6108FAD0EA98.jpeg
    0342AF8C-89DE-4D92-99BB-6108FAD0EA98.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 70
  • C050C2F0-DDDC-4F8D-9BCC-12C971116567.jpeg
    C050C2F0-DDDC-4F8D-9BCC-12C971116567.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 52
Can you call animal control or a wildife rehabber? They might be able to direct you on who to contact.

I have but they have said if the mother is with them there is nothing they can do they only take injured/abandoned ducks.
They said the mother knows best and she has chosen the habitat and it’s best to let nature take course and leave her be.

Sounds like your taking good care of them. I personally would take them away before long. That's a lie, they are too cute. But the poo in your pool :sick . I have a friend who had this happen and the duck comes back every year. This is her 4th year to raise ducklings in the pool. As soon as they can fly, they all leave.

Hi
Thanks for your reply! :)
I know, we have wrote off the pool for the summer and will have it cleaned when they’re gone, they have been here for 5 days and it is not looking too bad.
I don’t mind waiting until they can fly away on their own I just want to do what is best for them, I was thinking about building them a pen at night to keep them safe but dont want to try and domesticate the mother duck if she won’t like that

Back
Top Bottom