Help! Mother and ducklings in garden pool

the babies made it through the night :D
mama was at the pool at dawn so they are now re-united and nesting near a bush
i stayed with them to watch out for prey birds and sure enough saw a large heron scoping the area so I'm guessing this was yesterdays killer

im hoping to get the pond pen finished today trying to get them across the few metres will not be easy though any tips?
id rather not have a traumatic separation as last night 😹

thankyou for your advice last night
:hugs

Hi friends
The little ones are doing great thanks for asking!! I’ll attach a couple photos for you.

04C63413-DD5E-41F8-8E33-8ECA8C508A6B.jpeg

The pool has become rather green- should I still be putting chlorine in it?

I’ve heard it can cause kidney failure but I’ve also heard they can die from toxic water too.

Attachments

• FF2FCB05-0A67-410C-B3FB-0AEC4DE7FD9E.jpeg
    FF2FCB05-0A67-410C-B3FB-0AEC4DE7FD9E.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 7
  • FEAA33C1-5136-4AE5-A84B-ADC5A95425E1.jpeg
    FEAA33C1-5136-4AE5-A84B-ADC5A95425E1.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 7
aha :lol:
I know it’ll be black before long though!
they going to be ok in that water?
I guess it’s only another 6 weeks or so until they can fly away

I’ve been getting up at 5 every morning to scare away the heron - he came for about 3 days then stopped coming the last 3 mornings- do we reckon he is scared off for good now

aha :lol:
I know it’ll be black before long though!
they going to be ok in that water?
I guess it’s only another 6 weeks or so until they can fly away

I’ve been getting up at 5 every morning to scare away the heron - he came for about 3 days then stopped coming the last 3 mornings- do we reckon he is scared off for good now

It should be fine, not much you can really do anyways. I'm sure he'll try to snatch one up whenever he gets the chance, just keep a close eye on them!

The pool doesn't look that bad, come over to my pond in dead summer and you'll think yours is clean mountain water. Definitely don't put any chlorine in there,
The chlorine won't hurt them from a chemical standpoint but long exposure will remove the oils from their feathers. So a little chlorine won't hurt but daily would leave them a little bedraggled.

hmm I was wondering if the reason they don’t go in the garden pond is that the water is too unclean in it as it doesn’t have any filtration or anything

When the pool gets as black as it does over winter it attracts frogs and newts so if they can survive in it I guess the ducks will be fine?

Back
Top Bottom