help!mouth breathing hen with bluish comb

nature nut

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
today our one year old orpington is lethargic, not eating on her on, not walking around. She is usually a hyper girl all over the yard, one of the first ones out, and the least submissive of all the hens so she is not easy to catch unless you catch her on the roost. This afternoon we let the chickens out and she stayed in the run just standing there. Her head is not drawn in, her comb has some light purple/ blue along the back. Her eyes are clean and alert, no drainage. Nostrils are clean and dry. She is breathing out of her mouth with her throat open wide. I looked down it as she breathed and did not see any sores or worms. Her tongue was moist and a pale pink/ cream. Her skin was dry no parasites, not the normal hot skin but not cold just a little warmer than people skin today. No sores on her anywhere. No mites or sores on her feet. Not sneezing or coughing but every great once in a while (once yesterday and twice today she has straightened her neck out parallel to the ground as she stands and lets out a long loud sound like she is trying to clear her throat).

She lives with 11 other hens/pullets and one rooster. They are all in good health. I do hear an occassional sneeze from them but no one is sick. They live in an enclosed coop and run with sand flooring that has a lot of space per chicken it has a fan to cool them off in these miserable Louisiana summer days. I feed them purina sunfresh, oyster shells, a little scratch, vegetables. They free range in the evenings but we have been working a lot so yesterday was the first time they free ranged in a week

Today we fed her scrambled egg, yogurt, and chicken food and water with aviacharge2000 by hand. Now she is resting in a nice dark tote with wood shavings in the house.
Any ideas about what could be wrong or what else I should do?

just a guess but maybe cardiac, or possible heatstroke?? I'm sorry you lost your girl
hugs.gif

I lost a rooster 2 weeks ago when the heat and humidity really shot up, and the best guesses were heat causing oxygen delivery issues. His comb turned more and more blue as he got sicker. He lasted 2-1/2 days, even with all the support care.

So sorry about your Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom