HELP!!! MUSCOVY BABY ATTACKED BY DOG!!!

SusieBuddy63

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Richards, Texas
I desperately need help~!!

I have 3 muscovy ducklings and today I found a dog inside my enclosure and it had gotten one of my baby ducks. The duck is ok bone-wise and seems very alert, but the dog basically pulled the skin off it's back!!!

It's a pretty big open wound and I gobbed neosporin in it to keep the area moist but I'm not sure if this duckling can even be saved..

I am super upset and I want to try and save the duckling, but if it's suffering, I don't want that either.

It is very alert and can get up and walk.. it's trying to preen the area which I THINK is a good sign, but should I wrap it in something, and if so what??

Please help me I don't want to lose this baby or have it suffering should I need to just put it down.

I have attached a picture and I'm SORRY about the grossness, but I really need help!!!

That needs stitched/ or glued shut with medical glue) keep a clean sterile dressing on it and take to the Vet - it is not an injury you can deal with at home. Keep it in a dark place like cat basket with towel over to reduce stress.
Don;t let it wander It's wound will become infected and your little one is in shock and needs meds form the Vet that you cannot give. They are hardy - I have seen chickens with worse survive so its is worth a shot. It has been degloved but it can be put back in place by the vet!

Oes.

Last edited:
You should get it to a vet. It doesn't look like a degloving injury because it doesn't appear that the extra skin is there. It looks like the dog literally tore part of the skin off. That is muscle showing without even the fat layer.

Ducks are prey animals so do not show their pain as it makes them appear more vulnerable. Action should be take. That injury is to extensive to try to fix at home. (in my opinion)

Make sure that your other babies are secure. Find out how the dog got in there.

also if the flies are out at your place they will lay their eggs in that wound which will become maggots so your going to have to keep this lil on inside till it heals. That is so sad, I'm not sure other than a vet there is much you can do. except clean the wound real good use Neo or a product called Veterycin for wounds and infection and keep it sprayed down. also this duckling needs to be kept warm and not with the other ducks. I hope you fortified your coop and run because those dogs will be back unless you have taken care of them. Being in Texas your biggest enemy is going to be flies and keeping them off this little one, there is a product called Swat that is used to keep flies off of wound too. Please let us know about this little one. I hope it makes it
fl.gif

Hi everyone

I just wanted to update everyone that the dukling did not survive. I am sorry I waited so long to update. I couldn't find a vet to take it to (it was Sunday and I live in the boonies in Texas) So we put the duck down ourselves the most humane way we could. My husband and I both had lumps in our throats.... Now they are in a bigger area with excellent fencing so no more dog worries. :)

Hi everyone

I just wanted to update everyone that the dukling did not survive. I am sorry I waited so long to update. I couldn't find a vet to take it to (it was Sunday and I live in the boonies in Texas) So we put the duck down ourselves the most humane way we could. My husband and I both had lumps in our throats.... Now they are in a bigger area with excellent fencing so no more dog worries. :)
So sorry but even though hard to do it was the right thing, we haven't ever had a dog attack but are in the process of securing our fencing much better. Thanks for letting us know again so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom