Help! Muscovy internal pip??

Kfinno

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
I have 2 Muscovy duck eggs I have been incubating now on day 33. I have a homemade styrofoam still air incubator I have been using and been able to keep temps pretty stable around 101.5. Humidity has been consistently in upper 20’s-to mid 30’s. I did a lot of research on incubating these and decided to go with the lower humidity. One of the eggs air cell looks exactly how it supposed to for hatching soon and the other one has always had a smaller air sack and also I believe an abnormally small egg for Muscovy. I have been worried about this smaller one (another reason for having lower humidity) for a while but it seemed to be a few days ahead of development than the larger egg.
It has now been a little over 24 hours since the little egg has internally pipped (I Think). I started seeing a shadow earlier in the morning yesterday in the air sac but couldn’t tell if it actually was through or not. Around 730 last night I checked again and actually heard a gain clicking sound. It is a bulge that looks to be the beak or head and progressively getting more rhythmic movement like forcefully bobbing. I do not hear peeping though just a faint clicking or tapping every so often. I don’t know what to do, I know that we are not supposed to intervene if at all possible And that is what I was hoping to do. But I can’t help but think since the egg is so small it may be stuck and not a lot of room to pip. It also looks like there is a stained browning circular shape on the outside of egg with a dark dot in middle as if he was trying to pip at this spot. This spot is BELOW the air sac though in middle of egg. I can’t be totally sure it wasn’t there before bc both the eggs have various marks on them from beginning. ANY advice from someone who has been through this or suggestions I would greatly appreciate. Just not sure if I need to do something or leave it another night.

Advise Please... Here is a pic of the outside

Attachments

• E3D294DA-A92C-4253-936E-EA66E66F879D.jpeg
    E3D294DA-A92C-4253-936E-EA66E66F879D.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 13
Could you post a photo of the air cell? It sounds like the egg still may not have internally piped, because of the rhythmic bobbing you saw. In my limited experience, I think that it is probably getting ready to internally pip. However, if you're sure that it has, and it has been longer than 24 hours since it has, pokes a small safety hole in the air cell end of the egg, so the duck will have air to breathe. Good Luck!

Could you post a photo of the air cell? It sounds like the egg still may not have internally piped, because of the rhythmic bobbing you saw. In my limited experience, I think that it is probably getting ready to internally pip. However, if you're sure that it has, and it has been longer than 24 hours since it has, pokes a small safety hole in the air cell end of the egg, so the duck will have air to breathe. Good Luck!
Thank you for the reply! I will try and find a pic and post in a sec. if it didn’t internally pip would I still be able to hear the faint clicking/pecking sound? And the head or beak whatever the shadow is has been bobbing and poking for well over 24 hours now. Maybe I’m just paranoid but I have just been nervous thinking because the egg is so small that it will not be able to move into position. Hopefully I’m just being paranoid. Lol we have worked so hard trying to make things perfect for these to hatch and I just don’t want to miss the opportunity to help if that’s what’s needed.

This is from yesterday. Sorry kind of shaky. And I will include another from today and the air sac

Attachments

• 52CF53A8-B549-4414-80D2-C1D9F2C7D3F7.jpeg
    52CF53A8-B549-4414-80D2-C1D9F2C7D3F7.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 58FB8775-B10D-480D-A55C-88505599E633.jpeg
    58FB8775-B10D-480D-A55C-88505599E633.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom