Help! My 2 years old mille fluer bantam cochin is breathing through her mouth and I hear sound comin

Luckybaby

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
About 12 hours ago, before they roost, she seems fine. But when I checked her 4 hours later, I can hear breathing heavily with tail bobbing, with slight coughing, and making sounds from her mouth whenever she breathes. I released her 5 weeks ago, after I keeping her in the cage, to let her foot pad heal after doing foot surgery, because of suspected bumble foot( luckily, I never find any pus). 8 weeks ago, I also dewormed her with albendazole at 1.5x-2x the recommended dose(20mg/kg) for 3 days( I have done it to my chickens before, and there was no negative side effects that are obvious), and I used oral Ivermectin 1 time dose, at dosage of 2-3mg/kg which is below the 5.4mg/kg toxic dose.. She currently lives inside a pen with the other chickens, and there are only few insects on that place. Could it be that she aspirated, when my rooster mate her, during the night, or she is suffering from parasitic or fungal infection? There is no other symptoms, and the rest of my chickens appear healthy.

I just gave her fenbendazole at dosage of30mg/kg, and I am planning to give her 2 more dose for 2 more days.

Last edited:
About 12 hours ago, before they roost, she seems fine. But when I checked her 4 hours later, I can hear breathing heavily with tail bobbing, with slight coughing, and making sounds from her mouth whenever she breathes. I released her 5 weeks ago, after I keeping her in the cage, to let her foot pad heal after doing foot surgery, because of suspected bumble foot( luckily, I never find any pus). 8 weeks ago, I also dewormed her with albendazole at 1.5x-2x the recommended dose(20mg/kg) for 3 days( I have done it to my chickens before, and there was no negative side effects that are obvious), and I used oral Ivermectin 1 time dose, at dosage of 2-3mg/kg which is below the 5.4mg/kg toxic dose.. She currently lives inside a pen with the other chickens, and there are only few insects on that place. Could it be that she aspirated, when my rooster mate her, during the night, or she is suffering from parasitic or fungal infection? There is no other symptoms, and the rest of my chickens appear healthy.

I just gave her fenbendazole at dosage of30mg/kg, and I am planning to give her 2 more dose for 2 more days.
Have you had confirmation of worms? Using one method is usually enough to treat most internal parasites. Treating with Albendazole, Ivermectin and now Fenbendazole in such a short period of time may be overload. If you feel like she still has worms, you can take a fecal sample to your vet for a fecal float test for confirmation of any internal parasites.

Have you checked inside her throat to make sure her airway is clear - she may have some food stuck in there?
Otherwise the coughing, heavy breathing and "sounds" coming out of her mouth makes me think she has a respiratory illness.
You may want to separate her so you can monitor her symptoms more closely. You can offer some vitamins in her water. Sometimes antibiotics are used to treat any secondary infections associated with respiratory illnesses.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
One of my chicken two years ago, died of aspiration pneumonia, though he would have died even if that didn't kill him, because he swallowed something hard and too big for it to enter the proventriculus, and I don't know what to do to help him, without a vet on that time. His breathing is different from my chicken. I can constantly hear sound whenever she breathes, and it is similar to the sound of a tired person, breathing through it's nose. I checked her trachea using my led headlamp, but I can't see anything inside it, that is close to the mouth. So far, she is eating and drinking normally, and I already started giving her amoxicillin.

Two days ago, I saw an egg yolk, that looks like the same form as a sunny side up egg that is between fully cook and half cook. I had a chicken with broken egg inside her uterus , and she had an infection up to the point, where she wouldn't eat on her own, but never had a breathing problem. My chicken who is breathing noisy right now, doesn't appear to have large abdomen, nor I can feel a broken egg inside her abdomen.

She died less than 6 hours ago. She is my most beautiful chicken, and they always peck her, ever since I put her back. I think she died of aspiration pneumonia and it happened either when they peck her while she was eating, or when the rooster rape her while she have a lot of water in her crop.

I am surprised to see red colored liquid blood coming out of her mouth 36-48 hours after she died. When I try to do autopsy on one of my dead chicken about 2 years ago, on the neck and crop region, I didn't see any blood in liquid form even if it died 6 hours later. Do you know why that happens?

Last edited:
I am surprised to see red colored liquid blood coming out of her mouth 36-48 hours after she died. When I try to do autopsy on one of my dead chicken about 2 years ago, on the neck and crop region, I didn't see any blood in liquid form even if it died 6 hours later. Do you know why that happens?

I do not know.
You can message @casportpony and ask her. If you have photos of the necropsy she would want to look at those. If you get a response I would be interested to know as well.

Back
Top Bottom