Help! My 3 Week Old Duckling Looks Sick!

The grit helps grind up food. If you can't get grit, sand, crushed granite or even dirt will work. That is where they get it naturally. Ducks love mud! They swallow small rocks to break down food It is always possible there is something stuck in there and you can't tell. I would recommend give it something to help grind up food. Usually people feed ducklings crumble which breaks down in water. Since you don't have access to feeds, grit will need to be provided. If they get clogged up they don't eat as much and can stop eating entirely.

I would probably recommend giving a varied diet. Just like humans we need a variety of nutrients. You can always take a variety of foods like rice, peas, lettuce, fish, oats and such, mix it together and refrigerate or freeze the extra. Throw it in a blender even. Thaw it out as you need it. Right now make sure you include a high protein and naicin food on the side as well.

You usually want them to have free access to food as well. They can eat a lot for their little size.

Here is a full list of thing we give as treats, but may give you ideas of what else to add to your feed. Definitely don't do too much fruit, as too much sugar can be bad.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.242460/

Hi everyone! My duck is doing better. Started walking. Since I cant find Niacin anywhere here, I fed my duck peas and chicken breast and I think its legs are improving. For grit, I try to find granite rocks on my own and crush it into smaller pieces. And sprinkle a little on his food. (hope thats safe) everything is DIY for now until lockdown is lifted and I can find better options for him.

The grit helps grind up food. If you can't get grit, sand, crushed granite or even dirt will work. That is where they get it naturally. Ducks love mud! They swallow small rocks to break down food It is always possible there is something stuck in there and you can't tell. I would recommend give it something to help grind up food. Usually people feed ducklings crumble which breaks down in water. Since you don't have access to feeds, grit will need to be provided. If they get clogged up they don't eat as much and can stop eating entirely.

I would probably recommend giving a varied diet. Just like humans we need a variety of nutrients. You can always take a variety of foods like rice, peas, lettuce, fish, oats and such, mix it together and refrigerate or freeze the extra. Throw it in a blender even. Thaw it out as you need it. Right now make sure you include a high protein and naicin food on the side as well.

You usually want them to have free access to food as well. They can eat a lot for their little size.

Here is a full list of thing we give as treats, but may give you ideas of what else to add to your feed. Definitely don't do too much fruit, as too much sugar can be bad.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.242460/
This is so helpful! Thank you!!!!

Hi everyone! My duck is doing better. Started walking. Since I cant find Niacin anywhere here, I fed my duck peas and chicken breast and I think its legs are improving. For grit, I try to find granite rocks on my own and crush it into smaller pieces. And sprinkle a little on his food. (hope thats safe) everything is DIY for now until lockdown is lifted and I can find better options for him.
That is so great to hear! I am really glad the little guy is doing better.

Sprinkling a little on his food should be fine right now, especially since he hasnt had any. You will want to put the grit on the side. Ducks will take as much as they need.

Eventually you are going to need to know if it is a she or a he. Hopefully it is a little boy, you won't need to worry about calcium then. Girls quack and males have a quieter raspy voice, like they have a frog in their throat. Also males will get curled tail feathers. If it turns out to be a female, she will need a calcium source. You won't have to worry about calcium for a while, but considering your situation you may want to be on the lookout for where you can get some if you need it. Any kind of shell has calcium. Females start laying about 18-20 weeks old.

Best of luck with the little one. You are doing great under the circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom