Help! My 3 Week Old Duckling Looks Sick!

firsttimeduckmamahere

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2021
Hi everyone! I am new here and I am also a first timer duck owner. Just a little background. I am currently an expat living in Vietnam. I bought some fresh eggs from a local market 3 weeks ago without knowing I actually bought duck eggs that are I think eaten like a delicacy here (ducklings are almost developed inside). I had no idea because of language barrier. Anyway I didn't know what to do with them so I gave them away to my neighbors. BUT one hatched unexpectedly and I kept it. Its been a rollercoaster experience for me because everything is unexpected and I never thought of having a duckling. Eversince then we've became like bestfriends. He's a sweet little one.

He is now 3 weeks old. He's always been healthy looking and energetic. But since last night he barely stands up and always sits. He would even sit while eating. He can still stand for a little then go back to sitting much longer. When he's sitting, he sounds like he's crying or chirping softly nonstop. He would stretch out his legs a lot too and he looks like he's panting. Is he dying?? He's never been like this since I mentioned he's a duckling full of energy. He was still okay since yesterday. He is clearly sick and I dont know whats wrong with him. I cant also find a vet since I live in a small town and we are under lockdown. Ive been feeding him rice, some crushed boiled eggs which was his fav, bok choy, blueberries, cabbages, and recently salmon. I think he might have a niacin deficiency. I read that ducklings need it for their bones development. The problem is I cant find a store that sells niacin or Vitamin B3. Is there any way that I can do to save him or make him feel better? Please help.

Attachments

• 241500167_223378949759434_6116402774602682300_n.jpg
    241500167_223378949759434_6116402774602682300_n.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 31
So they sell any duck or chicken feed there? Local duck farmers may be able to provide you with some better options. If you can get some ducks that are not developed to make scrambled eggs, that should have more naicin in it.

Have you looked in a pharmacy store for B vitamins? Not sure what you can order online there, but that might be another option.

Metzer farms also has a mix your own feed page, but other websites might be more helpful. You could contact their customer service through email and they may be willing to help. https://www.metzerfarms.com/feed-conversion.html

My frustration starts from getting supplies to help my duckling. I am currently located in a small town under strict lockdown where even markets that sells those stuff for ducks are closed. I have no idea where I can get even the simplest stuff like Vitamin B. I checked all the pharmacies and they only have this 3B. Vitamin B1 - B6 and B12 all in one tablet. Is that the same thing? There's no amazon here as well and currently on total lockdown so shipping is also suspended. (sucks i know)But thanks for the tip about getting duck eggsto make scrambled eggs. I will try that first thing in the morning.

We often treat with vitamin b complex for naicin deficiency. It contains other b vitamins too. If it contains naicin (B3), I would give it a shot. It is ok if it contains other b vitamins.

You could also try a bit of chicken or turkey. Just make sure it doesn't have a bunch of salt with it. Both will have lots of protein and naicin. Fish, like the salmon, is another good source. You might consider cat food. Can you get that? With lots of vegetables to compliment it, it could better feed.

Sorry about your situation. Trying to think of outside the box.

We often treat with vitamin b complex for naicin deficiency. It contains other b vitamins too. If it contains naicin (B3), I would give it a shot. It is ok if it contains other b vitamins.

You could also try a bit of chicken or turkey. Just make sure it doesn't have a bunch of salt with it. Both will have lots of protein and naicin. Fish, like the salmon, is another good source. You might consider cat food. Can you get that? With lots of vegetables to compliment it, it could better feed.

Sorry about your situation. Trying to think of outside the box.
I fed him some salmon yesterday and gobbled it so fast. Today Fisher (my duckling’s name) just declines any food including eggs his fav. He ate some insects (fruit fly) that I caught myself for him. He likes it! He drank plenty of water tho. I will try to see if I can get cat food. Thank you so much for your advices.

Are you able to get any nutritional yeast or brewers yeast at the market?
Maybe look through a list of foods that is high in niacin and see what would be available to you.
https://www.nutritionadvance.com/foods-high-in-niacin/

But, if he's not eating, there may be more than just a niacin deficiency going on.
He started walking the next day. And seemed better. Even ran a couple of times. But tonight he seemed like he couldn’t walk again 🥺 Ive been feedig him salmon, eggs and peas. Hopefully it helps. Thanks for this list!!! It’s so helpful. ❤️ Also I cant find both yeasts 🙁

Back
Top Bottom