Help! My 5 week old chick is bonded to me and afraid of chickens! I want to integrate her with the flock and get her out of the house.

TSC doesn't sex bantams so I would be VERY skeptical of that.

If it is truly an amberlink then I wouldn't worry about it, you didn't specify breed, sorry.

Yeah its a big deal, Happy house chicken! They sell chicken diapers...
So there's actually hope that my Amberlink might be female after all? I've been in a bit of a panic since everyone else was like, "100% male" and all. We love this chicken and hope she is female. We'll work out how to eventually get her in with the flock full time.

Aware of chicken diapers as an option. We were waiting for her to be big enough for them, as a "plan B" approach, though not at all the one we're hoping for.

So there's actually hope that my Amberlink might be female after all?
There is more than hope it is like a 99% chance if they did it correctly, Amberlinks are sex-linked birds. Unlike bantams, brahmas, ect...

EDIT- I totally lied :(
"The Amberlink males and females hatch with the same color feathers, so they are not color sex-able, but they can be wing sexed. The males have mainly red plumage with a white undercoat that shows through in some areas. The females are mainly white with tints of red or amber in their wing feathers. Their bodies are a little heavier than a red sex link chicken. The males reach a mature weight of about 5 to 6 lbs. and the females mature at 4 to 5 lbs. These weights make the bird flexible enough to thrive in confined or free range environments."

There is more than hope it is like a 99% chance if they did it correctly, Amberlinks are sex-linked birds. Unlike bantams, brahmas, ect...

EDIT- I totally lied :(
"The Amberlink males and females hatch with the same color feathers, so they are not color sex-able, but they can be wing sexed. The males have mainly red plumage with a white undercoat that shows through in some areas. The females are mainly white with tints of red or amber in their wing feathers. Their bodies are a little heavier than a red sex link chicken. The males reach a mature weight of about 5 to 6 lbs. and the females mature at 4 to 5 lbs. These weights make the bird flexible enough to thrive in confined or free range environments."
Well, she was a yellow chick and now she is white. I see no red on her anywhere. So I'm feeling safer to assume she is female. There are some very light yellowish (amber) tints on the edges of her wing feathers, which is also an indication of female. I think I'm going to calm down now and just work on integrating her into the flock.

By the way, thank you.

Well, she was a yellow chick and now she is white. I see no red on her anywhere. So I'm feeling safer to assume she is female. There are some very light yellowish (amber) tints on the edges of her wing feathers, which is also an indication of female. I think I'm going to calm down now and just work on integrating her into the flock.

By the way, thank you
Totally! Anytime! Seems to be a girl if all of that pans out.

Is there some way (besides comb... most of my hens have robust combs) to know at this point?
The shape of the tail feathers is a better indicator than coombs. And young chickens are often afraid of the older ones. Just have to slowly integrate it. The problem is that she doesn't have others her own age and size to flock with during the process.

Back
Top Bottom