Help! My automatic turner broke and I didn't realize!

AngeJD

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
Help! I didn't realize my automatic turner had broken (and I have no clue WHEN it did) until I went to check on the humidity today and saw all four of my call duck eggs laying there with the X I marked on STILL on the top. The last time I had gone into the bator was almost 2 days ago since I'm running the bator dry when I noted that they were laying with the X on top. I have one of those super slow sliding tray turners where you can't see them move, but I checked the sliding tray after 2 hours and it was still in the same damn spot.

I had turned them manually when I first noticed the problem, and turned them again when I went to check on the turner 2 hours later, but now I'm really worried that the 1-2 days where the turner had broken and the eggs had stayed in the same position will make my call ducklings stuck to the membrane. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Will I be guaranteed to have to assist with hatching? This is my first set so I'm already nervous...

For background, 6 call duck eggs were set on March 29, I removed two yolkers a week later and these 4 remaining are on day 15. I candled them just to check up on them today, and the embryos are super active and the air sacs are coming along nicely...but I'm just very worried that the 1-2 days (I have no clue) has really screwed them up and they'll end up stuck to the membrane.

I contacted the manufacturer, and they are sending a replacement turner this week, but doesn't make me feel better right now...

Any advice greatly appreciated!

At this stage of incubation I don't think you have too much to worry about. That first week to ten days of incubation is critical for turning. Turning is essential in the formation of the 'extra-embryonic membranes'. They move nutrients and oxygen to the chick during incubation and they need to keep pace with the embryos development.

If your little ducklings are looking active then that's an excellent sign.

Help! I didn't realize my automatic turner had broken (and I have no clue WHEN it did) until I went to check on the humidity today and saw all four of my call duck eggs laying there with the X I marked on STILL on the top. The last time I had gone into the bator was almost 2 days ago since I'm running the bator dry when I noted that they were laying with the X on top. I have one of those super slow sliding tray turners where you can't see them move, but I checked the sliding tray after 2 hours and it was still in the same damn spot.

I had turned them manually when I first noticed the problem, and turned them again when I went to check on the turner 2 hours later, but now I'm really worried that the 1-2 days where the turner had broken and the eggs had stayed in the same position will make my call ducklings stuck to the membrane. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Will I be guaranteed to have to assist with hatching? This is my first set so I'm already nervous...

For background, 6 call duck eggs were set on March 29, I removed two yolkers a week later and these 4 remaining are on day 15. I candled them just to check up on them today, and the embryos are super active and the air sacs are coming along nicely...but I'm just very worried that the 1-2 days (I have no clue) has really screwed them up and they'll end up stuck to the membrane.

I contacted the manufacturer, and they are sending a replacement turner this week, but doesn't make me feel better right now...

Any advice greatly appreciated!

I wouldnt sweat it too hard. just keep em manually turning until the new turner shows up.

Hi everyone, and sorry to piggy back on this thread, but my problem is very similar (or worse). Please let me know if I should open a new thread.

This is my first time incubating chicken eggs, and I borrowed my friends' incubator (Brinsea Octagon). I set 25 eggs on Friday night at 11pm. Earlier today - day 5 - I realized that the Auto cradle motor is broken. I believe it might not have been working at all!! I turned them manually right away and intend to continue in the next days until I can get a replacement motor. Is it a lost cause now? Or will it just delay the hatch date? :hit Thank you

Hi everyone, and sorry to piggy back on this thread, but my problem is very similar (or worse). Please let me know if I should open a new thread.

This is my first time incubating chicken eggs, and I borrowed my friends' incubator (Brinsea Octagon). I set 25 eggs on Friday night at 11pm. Earlier today - day 5 - I realized that the Auto cradle motor is broken. I believe it might not have been working at all!! I turned them manually right away and intend to continue in the next days until I can get a replacement motor. Is it a lost cause now? Or will it just delay the hatch date? :hit Thank you
have you candled them to see what they look like? if so and they look alive if you angle and rotate the egg does what is inside appear to move?

have you candled them to see what they look like? if so and they look alive if you angle and rotate the egg does what is inside appear to move?
Thank you for your answer! I just candled most of them and some have those "spiderweb" veins and I can also make out an air sac. The blob inside is moving when I rotate it, but not on its own. Are the veins a sign of hope?

Thank you for your answer! I just candled most of them and some have those "spiderweb" veins and I can also make out an air sac. The blob inside is moving when I rotate it, but not on its own. Are the veins a sign of hope?
Yes it is a sign that there is a living embryo inside, knowing that the yolk is able to rotate inside the membrane is a good sign as well. I encourage you to post some photos, that will help us get a better picture of whats going on inside your eggs.

When an egg dies at this stage those veins will fade out and the generally red hue that the yolk has will go away, every egg can be a bit different so dont panic if some are more or less in that regard. Incubation is chess not checkers, things happen at a slower pace than we would usually like.

I dont have anyone who is at day 5 that I can post a picture of but here is a picture of day 7

day11.jpg

Back
Top Bottom