Help! My baby chick cannot walk

chelenee5

Hatching
Jul 23, 2016
I went to the feed store yesterday to get another baby chick to be a friend to one that I had at home. When I brought it up to the counter the guy said go ahead and take the check for free. Now I see why. This poor baby has not been able to walk. It's joint to its left leg is swollen. It hobbles around for a little while and then falls down. I cannot tell what is going on. Yesterday it was walking on it talks. Its feet were curled underneath itself but that has seemed to have corrected itself for the most part with these makeshift bandage shoes I made. It is eating and drinking just fine and happy as can be. Can somebody help me figure this out, because I am new to all of this. I will put some pictures in the comments.

It may have a vitamin deficiency or possibly a leg bone deformity. Some chicks may have a swollen hock from a slipped tendon or from lying on it's hocks. Other than vitamins and splinting, I would read Poultry Pedia Podiatry about slipped tendon treatment, and look up leg bone deformities in poultry. With a vitamin deficiency such as riboflavin, improvement may be seen in days or a week. Good luck.

It may have a vitamin deficiency or possibly a leg bone deformity. Some chicks may have a swollen hock from a slipped tendon or from lying on it's hocks. Other than vitamins and splinting, I would read Poultry Pedia Podiatry about slipped tendon treatment, and look up leg bone deformities in poultry. With a vitamin deficiency such as riboflavin, improvement may be seen in days or a week. Good luck.

Thank you so much for responding. It seems to be a slipped tendon. I have it in a chick chair and am giving it Polyvisol. I cannot get the tendon back in place, because of the swelling. Hopefully the chair will help reduce it.

Back
Top Bottom