Help! My Baby Ducklings Are Chirping A LOT

oliviachilton

Hatching
Jul 3, 2020
hello! I have two ducks (one is a pekin, and I'm not too sure about the other one) but they are both about 1 week old. I have them in a container that has both fresh food and water 24/7. They both are very cuddly towards one another and I let them out of their container each day for one hour while the three of us watch the Netflix show "the originals" together (haha) so they both are comfortable around me. the pekin duck comes towards me a lot and is alright with me picking it up, but the other is still a bit scared of me and mostly just follows the pekin duck, but is okay when I get ahold of it and pet it for a while. (I do not know the gender of either of the ducks by the way, but my guess is the pekin duck is a male and the other is a female, but don't quote me on that lol) I've had them for about three days. (got them when they were about 4 days old) I also believe the duck that I'm not too sure what their breed is, has imprinted on the pekin duck, but I do not know if the pekin duck has imprinted on the other one. Anyways, anytime I put them back in their container, the pekin duck keeps chirping unless I let it see my face and say something, it stays chirping for a good 30 minutes. I'm sure the duck is alright, but I just like to double check haha. I'm very new to raising ducks so I'm a bit paranoid haha.

Hi Olivia, can you post a picture of your duck and Your setup?
Sometimes ducks chirp when they are cold or have not enough food or water.’
We are here to help you get your precious new ducks big and strong!

we might also be able to tell the breed if you upload a picture

Welcome to BYC

Hi Olivia, can you post a picture of your duck and Your setup?
Sometimes ducks chirp when they are cold or have not enough food or water.’
We are here to help you get your precious new ducks big and strong!

we might also be able to tell the breed if you upload a picture

Welcome to BYC
yes! here is a picture, (btw there is a heating pad underneath the blanket they are on right now) also there isnt a clear picture of the little one, sorry about that

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 223
  • D6EC32E9-748B-4F69-86B6-DA802EBBE963.jpeg
    D6EC32E9-748B-4F69-86B6-DA802EBBE963.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 223
yes! here is a picture, (btw there is a heating pad underneath the blanket they are on right now) also there isnt a clear picture of the little one, sorry about that
We should get our ducks this week or next. The chicks went in their brooder on the screened porch today. Super nervous about tonight. 🙏🏼🙏🏼 Your babies are so cute! Question- do they stink as bad as chicks inside? I’m glad it’s warm here in NC. I worry about night time preditors getting into the screened porch somehow and tearing into the brooder.

i used to have chicks inside and i would say they dont, but if you forget to clean out the container theyre in, they can smell really quickly. i’m no duck expert by any means so i wish you luck! :))

i used to have chicks inside and i would say they dont, but if you forget to clean out the container theyre in, they can smell really quickly. i’m no duck expert by any means so i wish you luck! :))
Thank you! Yeah I was cleaning the chick container once daily or more and the smell was still really getting to my family. I will probably keep ducks inside the same for a week or two if I can stand it then to the screened porch they also go until they make their way to the farm!

Back
Top Bottom