help! my brahmas have become egg eaters!

monster1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 4, 2008
california(unfortunately)
i have noticed cracked eggs when i gather them. today, i didn't let them out of the coop til late afternoon and there was no evidence of eggs in the coop and there was dryed yoke on their faces! i have been letting them freerange every day and supplementing with scratch. maybe they need layer feed? what can i do to break the habit, if anything?

thanks,
monty

they might be in need of more nutrition. sometimes they eat eggs, not only because they are tasty, but because they need the nutrients from it as well. I would either use golf balls, or paint some rocks white. once they figure out that they can't eat those, then they may stop. but make sure to collect the eggs very often so it doesn't entice them to peck at them.

i have 24 hens and they are feed Layer pellets and calcium and they are egg eaters. on Saturdays & Sundays I collect eggs throughout the day and will end up with about 10 to 12 each day. but during the week when I go collect eggs at the end of the day, nothing.

I want to set up cameras to catch the offenders and either get rid of them or try fried chicken.

I got Chickens 2 years ago when eggs were going for $2 / doz. now I'm spending $15/week to feed chickens so they will have tastey eggs to snack on. I ejoy having chickens but i'd like a little return from the ladies.

has anyone had luck with the ceramic artifical eggs sold on e-bay?

i'm going to go to the craft store and get the wooden ones. i'm going to up their calcium too. if that doesn't work i'm going to be having some chicken dinners and start fresh.

Back
Top Bottom