Help, my chicken attacked my daughter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Instead of being scared just be cautious as with everything that involves children. My flock is hand gentle, including the rooster and they and my 3 year old granddaughter Abby go about their business in our yard. But I never leave Abby unattended. This is a great time to teach your 3 year old to respect but enjoy the outdoors. Enjoy!

Jesus Christ. I am amazed at how many peoples answer is murder. If your pet isnt acting how you want it to, train it. When she pecks, put her in a box for 5 minutes. Let her back out, and eventually she will learn that pecking causes negative consequence. You dont have to kill an animal because it doesnt act the way you want it to. How many of you would kill your dog if it nipped? Sorry to be so angry, but it seems to me that people on a Chicken forum would love chickens. As pets. Make soup:/
roll.png

Quote:
We are on this forum for many reasons. Some of us have chickens for pets and some of us have chickens as farm animals, that is for eggs and meat.
I agree that many birds can be trained but some don't train very well. Especially roosters when the hormones start flowing.
I live in the country and although many people are attached to their animals they are more attached to their kids. I know quite a few people that have "dispatched" dogs for nipping or biting kids. Also people that don't have the means to foot an expensive vet's bill so they humanely "dispatch" sick or injured animals.
We care about our animals but don't see it as murder.

Last edited:
It's simple, when one of the chickens gets mean, it's the pot. It's a CHICKEN not a human.

By the way, if my dog nips, I wouldn't kill and eat him.....if he nips me he had better be ready to be bit or hit back tho...

This is a thread that has been dug up from nearly 3 weeks ago.

Please make note of dates before posting on these old threads.

There is really nothing to be said that hasn't been said already.

dacjohns is right. Chickens are trainable, but not eminently so - at least not so they'll "behave" like people.

They do what they do. They are farm animals, and birds at that. If they were trainable to be "nice" little critters, people would have done so long ago. Instead, they wisely remove the ones exhibiting traits that corrupt the gene pool - which is the purpose of culling - or because they believe they are, when one does something they don't like.

However, culling is not murder. "Murder" is defined as:

mur·der – noun
1. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).

Breaking into someones home and killing them them is. Planning and killing them for their insurance money is. A drive-by shooting most certainly is.

Don't be misled: culling is selection, even manipulation, but it's not murder. It isn't a fine line of distinction either; it's a chasm.

I am going to repeat myself for the last time then I will lock this thread -

This thread is nearly 3 weeks old and the original OP has not responded to this thread since that time.

All of these points have been made within the first 4 days this thread was active.

This conversation is no longer productive and is leaning to inciteful commentary. There was no reason to dig it up.

Check the dates on some of these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom