Help, my chicken can no longer stand and she sits on her belly and vent, with her legs pointed out straight from under her

No, our roosters are gents. But I did recall three larger hens like her, charge through their run door and knocked into each other at full big girl speed. On the positive side of things, though it’s been a rough 3 weeks, she is hanging touch and someone back to herself. She doesn’t have her legs stretched out completely in front of her which is promising to me! She is very lively, eating and drinking just fine and can sit in a typical roosting position and tries to stand on her own now. It’s worth every second of my time to help and and watch her improve.

I would make sure that she is getting fed and watered a few times a day. I had a hen once who lost her balance and could not stay upright for about 5 weeks. Eventually though, after feeding her mushy wet food, egg, tuna, and cat food, she was back to normal. Human B complex 1/2 tablet daily can be crushed into her food.

No, our roosters are gents. But I did recall three larger hens like her, charge through their run door and knocked into each other at full big girl speed. On the positive side of things, though it’s been a rough 3 weeks, she is hanging touch and someone back to herself. She doesn’t have her legs stretched out completely in front of her which is promising to me! She is very lively, eating and drinking just fine and can sit in a typical roosting position and tries to stand on her own now. It’s worth every second of my time to help and and watch her improve.
This doesn't look like Marek's. When my chickens were paralyzed from Marek's, they already had been sick for a while and wouldn't want to eat too much. It's more possible that she has vitamin deficiency or injury. Giving her vitamin B and E could help.

I would make sure that she is getting fed and watered a few times a day. I had a hen once who lost her balance and could not stay upright for about 5 weeks. Eventually though, after feeding her mushy wet food, egg, tuna, and cat food, she was back to normal. Human B complex 1/2 tablet daily can be crushed into her food.
Yep
yes, she gets plenty of food and water as well as vitamin B and other vitamins. She has come a very long way after 4 weeks and slowly learning to stand again. She can stand on her own now for about a minute and then lays back down feet in normal position and posture. I believe we figured it out and it seems to have been obutator paralysis at this point.

Back
Top Bottom