Help, my chicken flew the coop

chickencrazylady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
hit.gif
Late night my hen escaped beyond my garden and fence and as far as we can tell she had an encounter with my dog, she went under our woodshop which is sitting on 2 foot pillars above the ground, feather's everywhere, I saw her trying to get out the other side which is fenced off, figuring she needed time to calm down we left her alone (after checking the dog to make sure she hadn't been eaten) that was at 6:45 p. last night, I stayed up to 11:30 last calling her and with the bread krinklie bag (gets her attention every time) but no hen, I went out this morning and called and looked around again, still no hen. Question: could she have been so scared that she hide and maybe went into shock and died.
I crawled under the shop with flashlight twice last night to no avail.

That's possible, considering the heat and the trauma, but she could just be hiding till she feels safe, too. If you didn't see any blood, a lot of feathers can be lost and there still be an intact chicken. My roo was attacked by the neighbor's dog, carried through two fields to their house, escaped and ran away, stayed gone all day, and came home on his own in the evening. He had a terribly bruised wing, lost a lot of feathers, but no broken bones, almost no blood loss. He is fine now, a month later. He is even growing back his tail feathers. I hope your girl comes home safely. Good luck!

sad.png
Sadly what my first dog started, my free roamer dog almost finshed yesterday morning, after getting up at 7 am and going under my shop to look, with no luck, I went into the bushes behind her run and thought I her HennyPenny but the wind was blowing and I couldn't tell the direction of the noise, I came out to the front of the run and looked to see my other dog with Hennypenny in his mouth in the field, I screamed and ran out into the field and Hennypenny was still alive, I picked her up and ran back to our house, but sadly she only lived a couple minutes and died in my arms. I am ticked at my dogs and my free roamer isn't free any longer, I will never trust him again were my chickens are concerned, I wish I hadn't learned that one the hard was.

Aw, sorry about your bird,
sad.png
some dogs just dont go well with chickens, i worry about my dog getitng my birds becuase he has already kill one of my bunnies, he is never allowed out when my birds are out.

Back
Top Bottom