help my chicken got hit by a car

martinsa

Hatching
Oct 10, 2015
One of my chickens was hit by a car. She was noticed immediately and brought inside her right wing seems broken so I wrapped that with vet wrap but she won't stand up or drink water. I even tried with a dropper. She seems very lifeless in a sense that I can move her any way I want and she won't move herself at all. They is no obvious external injury other than the wing. What should I do. P.s. No avian vet here.

The next 24 hours are crucial. Is there any blood coming out of her mouth or rectum? She's in shock. Keep her in a dark quite place and offer her food and water and gaderade for some electroites. If you have pediolite that's even better

Doesn't appear to be any blood coming from anywhere.I gave her on a clean towel in a plastic tote and there's no blood on that I have moved her myself.

Today she is drinking had one poop that looked normal and layed her egg. However she still will not stand up or move much on her own. We moved her to a larger box. More concerned about her not standing other signs are very encouraging. Ps she is talking very much again.

That's awesome news! Are you sure her leg/s aren't broken? Then again she may just be stiff. If she seems to be in pain you can mix five 81mg aspirin pee gallon of water.

If she still seems lethargic/ in shock you may want to move a heater near her hospital cage. Birds have higher core body temperatures then us so sometimes keeping their temp. up in a cold room takes up too much energy.

Also, is she eating on her own? It is essential that she gets enough nutrients.

We ended up culling her today as she still would not move on her own. It seems she may have broken her back and legs. We gave her six days but only the first day was a positive one.

Back
Top Bottom