Help! My chicken have frostbite!

RedBreasted

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2014

So like 3 days a go, I was feeding my hen and i saw her comb have 1 bit of black. I know is frostbite because when an animal/human outer skin gets hypothermia or gets really cold, the skin turns black. So I took a picture today on her and is snowing today. So anything i can do to help her? Should i buy a coop or build a coop? Should i buy a heat lamp?(I am going to buy that) So stay in my yard underneath a ledge up in my roof. The food and water is underneath it too.

Where do you live? She does have some mild frostbite on her comb. You can apply some iodine to help prevent infection. Do not rub the comb since it is very tender. Chickens need to be locked into a pen at night free of direct wind, but with some overhead ventilation high up in the coop. There are too many predators that are out there to let her stay outside. Heat lamps are not necessary, but a coop is, especially to protect from rain, snow, and cold weather.

I live in Idaho. Is chilly here when is in winter. Also, Will pretroleum jelly work too? Like rubbing on her comb?

Petroleum jelly really does nothing to prevent or treat frostbite, despite the claims. But Neosporin ointment (which has a petroleum jelly base) would possibly help to treat or prevent infection. Iodine helps since it disinfects, but also may help to dry up the skin. This especially helps on frostbitten toes. With frostbite this mild, no treatment may be necessary.

If you don't already have a coop, which it sounds like you don't, you should put her in the shed, garage or even a basement at night until you can provide her with adequate shelter from the wind and predators. Good luck to you and your hen --- read this board! You'll learn everything you need to know, especially how to raise chickens in very cold climates.

so I read that you put a large box outside under the ledge and you have her food and water under the ledge in the box as well, and then in this post you said you were going to buy her a heat lamp. I really really would not suggest that you put a heat lamp on a cardboard box. Here is my suggestion, it will take some work, but if you want your hen to survive your winter you need to provide some shelter. Pallets are free from all sorts of business. Because you only have 1 hen now, I would just make it a very small coop. Take apart the pallets and nail them back together in a box shape. Cover all the gaps with a second layer of pallet wood. Build a bottom, too, and a slanted roof to reduce the snow load. Make a door that you can latch. Cover the bottom of the coop with shavings, straw, grass clippings, leaves. Best of luck. You don't need a lot of money to keep a chicken, but you do need to keep her safe. Best of luck.

I googled this image. All pallets. you can do it!

I am putting heat lamp under the rocks and under the ledge so it won't but the cardboard box. I live in a subdivision. Also why does my hen make noise? I think is because she is laying egg but that's not it.

You should really take the advise given here. The small A-frame house that LogCabinChicks posted above is perfect for one hen and is available already made, so you don't have to build one. Or find another type, just make sure it is predator proof. Hens make lots of different noises. If she is making a noise that concerns you, observe what is going on at that time.

Back
Top Bottom