Help!!! My chicken is bleeding

Jeri2911

Songster
May 7, 2020
I need help! My leghorn is bleeding in her rear. I don’t think she can poop and ever since she reach that age I don’t think she’s been laying eggs (We have 7 chickens so hard to tell) Please help! It’s very swollen too, I’m not sure she’s been eating
what do I do?????
F71886A9-A5A3-4045-B305-E846CF5C737E.jpeg

If it has stopped bleeding, can you spray the vent with anti-bacterial and try to look closer? Is there a tear or sore? Look for bugs or clues about the injury. Can you inspect under wings and legs to look for mite bites?

Do you have a Rooster?
Is the roost set up so backsides might get pecked?

If it is pulsing, and she seems unable to pass a poo or egg, have her gently stand in a Warm Epsom Salts bath, with your hand on her back, as she relaxes, use gentle pressure on her back so she lowers enough to cover her back side/vent but bit all her feathers or back. This may help her to relax and stop straining if she is doing that. 20 mins or til water begins cooling, and have a kennel/towel ready in a dark area, if you can, to let her heal a bit.

If she's reached laying age, squatting, red comb, add some calcium and switch to Layer food, if you haven't yet. Some yogurt mixed in may help her fight a bacterial imbalance and accept new food. If no Corid for a while, maybe treat the flock for Coccid - or parasites if poo indicates clues, or if they free range.

Pics of poo and vent might get a better answer. Others may have other ideas. Ignore them, IMO, if they say to put your finger inside to look for an egg. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Pictures of her vent could be helpful. Is there a vent prolapse with red tissue protruding, or has she been pecked and injured? You can try to insert a clean lubricated finger into the vent to check for a stuck egg.

Pictures of her vent could be helpful. Is there a vent prolapse with red tissue protruding, or has she been pecked and injured? You can try to insert a clean lubricated finger into the vent to check for a stuck egg

Attachments

• ABDD6F2D-CCF0-4E32-A336-F730921942EC.jpeg
    ABDD6F2D-CCF0-4E32-A336-F730921942EC.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 6F846D26-B3CB-4B04-822D-885CB87C0565.jpeg
    6F846D26-B3CB-4B04-822D-885CB87C0565.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 10
I’ve soaked her for a bit and then lubricated and felt a shell, i didnt feel any broken shells but the egg is pretty far back, about two inch maybe?

This is what it looks like now

Attachments

• A72B6126-E185-44D4-9225-899B0999A862.jpeg
    A72B6126-E185-44D4-9225-899B0999A862.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 9
It looks like she has been vent pecked. Does it look like she has a prolapse? Some chickens may have a small prolapse and others will see the red and peck at it. Other times vents can be pecked from aggressive hens that want the nest box, or who may be bullies. Let us know if she poops, since egg bound chickens may not be able to pass droppings. A calcium tablet or Tums can be given to help her pass the egg. I would place her in a warm humid place for the time being. Hopefully she will relax and lay her egg.

Back
Top Bottom