HELP! MY CHICKEN IS MISSING A PIECE OF SKIN!!

Chickensss_25

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
IMPORTANT!! hello! Im kinda new to this whole chicken thing because my oldest flock is about 5 and a half months old, but i have a question. I have 2 naked neck chickens. One is a rooster and one is a hen. My hen is literally missing a piece of skin from her neck because thats where the rooster sometimes grabs her from. She has a lot of other scars and a lot of dried blood on her neck. Im pretty sure its the rooster missing her head and grabbing on to her from her neck. What can i do to stop this? Everyone in my family wants to get rid of the rooster but i dont! So is there a solution?? Or will this always happen to naked neck females? Please help!

IMPORTANT!! hello! Im kinda new to this whole chicken thing because my oldest flock is about 5 and a half months old, but i have a question. I have 2 naked neck chickens. One is a rooster and one is a hen. My hen is literally missing a piece of skin from her neck because thats where the rooster sometimes grabs her from. She has a lot of other scars and a lot of dried blood on her neck. Im pretty sure its the rooster missing her head and grabbing on to her from her neck. What can i do to stop this? Everyone in my family wants to get rid of the rooster but i dont! So is there a solution?? Or will this always happen to naked neck females? Please help!
Can you post some pictures of the injury so everyone can get an idea of what's going on?

When roosters mate, they would normally grab feathers on the hens neck (to balance themselves). With Turkens/naked necks, this is impossible since they have bare necks. It will likely keep happening to her.

I would bring her inside or make another temporary area for her until she heals completely from the wound. With the rooster repeatedly injuring her on top of already having a wound it will eventually kill her.

Make sure to clean the wound well, and you can apply neosporin (no pain killer). Keep it clean. I hope this helps!

Can you post some pictures of the injury so everyone can get an idea of what's going on?

When roosters mate, they would normally grab feathers on the hens neck (to balance themselves). With Turkens/naked necks, this is impossible since they have bare necks. It will likely keep happening to her.

I would bring her inside or make another temporary area for her until she heals completely from the wound. With the rooster repeatedly injuring her on top of already having a wound it will eventually kill her.

Make sure to clean the wound well, and you can apply neosporin (no pain killer). Keep it clean. I hope this helps!
This is what she currently looks like. And the rooster that i think is hurting her is in the back. I have 8 chickens, 3 rooster and 5 hens. So i think it’s either that rooster or one of the other ones

Attachments

• 8599D44A-2923-4FB9-AE1A-AC01C4AE7392.jpeg
    8599D44A-2923-4FB9-AE1A-AC01C4AE7392.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 17
  • C2DB0DBC-C03C-4913-98D5-09A890DDF5A2.jpeg
    C2DB0DBC-C03C-4913-98D5-09A890DDF5A2.jpeg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 17
Three roosters to five hens is a lot. Do you need all of those roosters? Maybe you could separate the trouble roo.
Well i have 18 chickens total, the adult ones so far are the 3 roosters and the 5 hens. So i was hoping that once the rest grow, it will be more hens and hopefully less roosters. And im still not sure which one is the rooster hurting my hen. I know one of then definitely is not it. It’s either the big black rooster i have, or another one thats kinda mean

I would at least separate all the males asap.....maybe forever.
Hmm, is there anything else i can do? I dont have much space to separate them all, and one of the roosters is innocent lol. I know he didn’t do it for sure. Idk about the other 2 tho. And also the only hen hurt is my nackrr neck. So im thinking that shee always gonna be hurt because of her neck. Im not gonna get anymore naked necks, and im hoping she gets better. Since i grow my chicks since 3 days old, i just raise them and find out it they were a rooster or hen. So rn i have 18 total chickens. But only 8 of them are almost adults. It used to be 9 but a dog jumped my fence and took my favorite rooster! He was so sweet and would never even poke me. We would’ve had 4 roosters and 5 hens. But not we were left with 3 roosters and the 5 hens. And since i still have 10 small chickens. Im hoping most of them are hens. I do know that about 2 or 3 of them are for sure a rooster tho... sooo idk

Back
Top Bottom