HELP!! My chickens are attacking one of the other hens!!!

promisefarm

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 1, 2011
This is awful, my RIR's have been picking on one of the other hens, now they have attacked her so much that she is bloody. They are only focusing on her bottom. They have pecked her bottom so much that her anus is very bloody and swolen, its awful. The victim is a beautiful healthy robust bird. I cant figure out why they are doing this or what to do about it. I have cold-hosed her bottom, and put her in the pen with my goats for now, but I just don't know what to do. Please help

is there a REASON they're going after her bottom?

I don't know what anyone else will say, but I can't stand to see this behavior. I always end up building an new area for the bullied bird and end up finding it new friends. Not what I suggest, but it's what I can live with. That chicken may be very happy with the goats. I had a very bullied chicken befriend a potbelly pig. They were the BEST of friends!
\\
Make sure there's nothing wrong with the chicken's bum other than the injury. Make sure you clean it and put medicated slave on it regularly.

Hi Denise, thank you so much. i can't see a reason they would be targeting her bottom, I have her in a dog crate now in the coop so she can heal and have protection...

Often targeting of bottoms is spurred on by an injury or prolapse to the vent. Might give the attacked hen a close check up on her bottom to make sure there is no protruding tissue in the wound.

Back
Top Bottom