HELP MY CHICKENS ARE DYING

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by judy101, Nov 7, 2013.

1. judy101

judy101 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    I had three pet hens and one rooster for 7 years, Please dont tell me they are dying just because they are old. what is happening is they are slowly starving to death? they eat plenty until they get down real bad, and then they stop because it seems at that point their food wont leave the crop to digest.I lost my first girl one month ago and had called the vet and he said it sounded like crop damage and little to be done. she was a mere skeleton. Then about one month later Mr Black started starving to death, same symtoms eating like crazy, and losing to a skeleton, I took him to the vet for all the good it done, he checked for worms didnt have enough fecal to get a good test so we wormed him anyway and I got a tube to stomach feed him. gave him lots of food but it didnt go anywhere and ended up having to empty his crop daily because it was getting sour. finally he passed two nights ago. the vet gave me electrolytes, and Probitics and wormer for my last girl who is showing no signs of being sick yet other than wasting away to nothing, I bought the antibiotics, and the yogurt and pretty much everything you can think of for her, I have bought some sumet due to reading on the internet sites, but Im afraid to give it to her as it says it can be rough on them. she is still perky and still eating but you would not know shes eating as she is wasting away at an alarming rate, I figure I only have a few days for her, if it works like it did with the others it will just be a few days before she is down to the stomach tube feeding. HELP. any ideal or suggestion. you can email me at [email protected] if you would like,Im desperate, shes my last litte girl and shes lonesome now but I cant even think of getting her a mate until I get to the bottom of this disease. she was wormed with both ivermetic and something called wazine.

2. cmedeiros17

cmedeiros17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    So sorry.....I don't have any answer but thought I would bump this thread up for you. I hope you are able to figure out what is wrong.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Wazine is only effective against roundworms and ivermectin has been shown to be pretty ineffective as a poultry dewormer. I don't know what is going on with your birds but I would try deworming with something effective and safe like Valbazen or Safeguard. If these birds were not on a regular deworming schedule previously then it's possible they are full of parasites. But there are many possibilities. It would have been a very good thing to have one of the ones who died necropsied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by