HELP! My chickens are eating the eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamas chicks, Sep 2, 2014.

1. mamas chicks

mamas chicks New Egg

May 1, 2014
    So my White Leghorn just started laying over the weekend. My husband was able to save one of the eggs but the others were not so lucky. Not sure which one of my chickens is doing it but they are eating the egg, shell and all. What do I do to fix this and why is this happening? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would be unusual for pullets who just started laying to be confirmed egg eaters, in the sense that they break the eggs on purpose, in order to eat them. Any chicken will eat a broken egg if it is broken accidentally, or if the shell is so soft that it breaks that easily. Usually, "egg eaters" are older laying hens. Hopefully, this is just a hiccup -- its certainly not unusual to run into "hiccups" when they first start laying. Actually, lots of experienced chicken keepers will break a very dirty or otherwise damaged egg on the coop floor, just so the flock can have the nutrition from it. This does not seem to cause a flock to become "egg eaters."

Just in case, here is an article about dealing with real, confirmed egg eaters:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Are you seeing them eat the eggs? Are there bits and pieces that you can see where they ate them?

4. mamas chicks

mamas chicks New Egg

May 1, 2014
    No there were no pieces left. It was all wet and gooey right where she laid her egg and it was all over her back as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by